Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started with a completely stock sliver 2002 World Championship Edition. Basically its an XE cab and and SE driveline. It has the HG49 rear axle. My first mod was to go to 265/75s. Then came the BL. Its a DIY $75 lift found on this site. Also. Sold the 265/75s and bought 33/12.50 15s with wheels.

Before (only 265/75/16 on stock 16x7 wheels)

After (2" BL, 15x10/4"bs, 33x12.50 15 MT)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Decided I hated the silver wheels. Bought 15x8 Pro-comp rock crawlers. IAB also installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dig it man. When you say DIY are you saying its a PML? Nice job either way! You from the Indianapolis area?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank You. No its a 2" body lift that is pieced together for about $80 including shipping and installed it myself in about 3hrs. A PML doesn't allow for larger tires, Just more flex.(stuffage). And I used to live in Indy for about 12 yrs. I now live in east Tennessee. I have everything for my PML including new es9000s and sway-a-way torsion bars. its just been to cold here recently to put it on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had 265/75 16 on for about a month. They were nice but the offset of the new wheels (-44) set the xterra on a really nice stance. Even with the rear sway bar removed my X feels soooo much more stable with the 33x12.50s. I cant wait for it to warm up some to put the 9000s on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Its a slow project especially with a 1 y/o...lol. Lokka locker ordered today...YAY! I will probably do the pml and lokka at the same time. Frt bumper and sliders coming this spring also. Pix will follow soon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The slide was like tobogganing! I would be too scared to ram it into a tree, but nice and controlled, that white jeep kept getting stuck, running into trees and stuff

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Out with some friends for a charity ride. Check the sick slide about 5:50

https://youtu.be/xhkgSSJp7R0

I watched almost the whole vid, but its kind of painful to see that many nicely modded rigs w/o drivers, I mean, bead locks and not aired down enough? No line picking, no throttle control, just a lot of gas and spinning...suspensions that used all the down travel for lift and had about zilch to follow the terrain, and on and on.

Most did seem to at least saw the front tires for traction, but didn't combine that with other techniques, even rocking out of a rut was beyond most of them.

One guy who had a bad line got advice, give it more gas essentially, instead of to take a better line, and NOT keep the tires in the ruts...etc.

OK, I need an aspirin.

>:D

PS - Don't brake on a down hill with poor traction, you can skid, and if skidding, you can't steer well, etc, and a bad hop or rock, etc, can send you sideways quickly.

Instead, be in 4 lo, and let the engine braking slow you as much as it can, and if you ADD braking, don't lock it.

So, its poor technique to lock and slide, newbs get killed like that on rolls. You were lucky of course.

And its a good idea to remove the stock steps before hitting trails, they can catch on breakovers and then jam your wells, sometimes ripping sidewalls or denting fenders, etc.

:D

And it looked like a lot of fun out there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've kept the stock rails only because my wife is short(>5'4"...lol) and i havent gotten to sliders yet. The lock up was unintentional and fortunately the dowhill was relatively straight. Although during the decent it felt like a slow roll, wasn't until I saw this video did i know i slid down it. I am fairly new to offroad so the info is greatly appreciated. I was in 4lo and tried to let it roll it just felt like i was accelerating faster than i wanted.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So for the last few day I have had an odd feeling when going around curves and bends. So today I figured I would inspect the front end while I was under there hitting everything with some PB for the LOKKA install and the PML. Unfortunately this is what I found.

Driver upper

Driver lower

Driver side center link

Pass upper

Pass lower

Needless to say I will be doing more work then just what I had planned. As it stands now it'll be the PML, LOKKA, grassroots center link, HD TRAs and new TREs, new ball joints all around, mind as well upgrade the sway bar links to polys. Ugh!!! Tear down begins this weekend. I'll post more pix as I start working on it.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Good luck. All doable. The lower ball joints suck. You have part numbers and the sort of how-to thread?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I saw those boots in the pix I was just about sick. I'm no stranger to turning a wrench, so the LBJs should be fairly easy. I might do a write up on it my way. Heck I might do write ups for everything I'm doing minus the PML. The parts should be here by monday for the steering. Ball joints should be here by tues at the latest.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks good man! Good luck on the repairs. How difficult is it to get the Lokka in?
Thanks Squiz. Don't really know yet how difficult its going to be. I downloaded the FSM and after reading it, the hardest part looks like its going to be the removal and installation of the diff itself. Since I will have the most of the front end apart some of those parts won't be in the way making it a bit easier.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts