Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just learning about lift kits. I have an 02xterra 4x and it needs new suspension. I was thinking of doing a lift. I don't do much off roading but would like to. I've been reading post in this forum but some things I'm not understanding. Could someone list the parts I need for the pml. And the Bl. I'm not doing it myself but I just want to make sure I relay evefything correctly to the mechanic. I know more about cars then the average female but I still find alot of men dismissing me at first. Also I don't know some of the abbreviations you ask use. Like uca ifs etc. Thank you

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
646 Posts
PML = poor man's lift. Turn the front springs, which are torsion bars, so they lift the front of the vehicle. Flip the rear shackles so they lift the rear. Beware of changes to the front alignment and the increased angles that could cause more wear on the CV joints and other parts.

BL = body lift. Remove all of the body-to-frame bolts, add or replace the pucks to cause the body to sit higher than before. Some hoses and wires will need attention. Fan shroud for radiator, too.

UCA / LCA = upper and lower control arms.

IFS = independent front suspension. It just means it has a diff that's bolted to the frame with CV axles driving the wheels, as opposed to a solid front axle like the rear axle, except that a front solid axle needs to be able to steer.

SAS = solid axle swap. It's where IFS is replaced with a solid axle.

Share some pics if you have time and feel like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, just learning about lift kits. I have an 02xterra 4x and it needs new suspension. I was thinking of doing a lift. I don't do much off roading but would like to. I've been reading post in this forum but some things I'm not understanding. Could someone list the parts I need for the pml. And the Bl. I'm not doing it myself but I just want to make sure I relay evefything correctly to the mechanic. I know more about cars then the average female but I still find alot of men dismissing me at first. Also I don't know some of the abbreviations you ask use. Like uca ifs etc. Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PML = poor man's lift. Turn the front springs, which are torsion bars, so they lift the front of the vehicle. Flip the rear shackles so they lift the rear. Beware of changes to the front alignment and the increased angles that could cause more wear on the CV joints and other parts.

BL = body lift. Remove all of the body-to-frame bolts, add or replace the pucks to cause the body to sit higher than before. Some hoses and wires will need attention. Fan shroud for radiator, too.

UCA / LCA = upper and lower control arms.

IFS = independent front suspension. It just means it has a diff that's bolted to the frame with CV axles driving the wheels, as opposed to a solid front axle like the rear axle, except that a front solid axle needs to be able to steer.

SAS = solid axle swap. It's where IFS is replaced with a solid axle.

Share some pics if you have time and feel like it.

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
646 Posts
My sister rear-ended someone . I need a new grill and hood
I know the pain! My buddy's wife hit black ice and slid off a freeway with my 2001 Xterra that I had loaned them until they got their car fixed or replaced. It's in this thread in case you go looking for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts