Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i recently did a head gasket and cylinder head repair on my 2000 xterra 4x4 xe. everything came out great but im having some issues with getting my timing right. i have tried setting the ignition timing to the 15 degrees btc that is stamped on the hood but it seemed to lack any sort of power and was shit when it came to mileage. i was getting about 12/13 combined hwy and city and hwy alone maxed out at 14. when i originally got this rig i was getting 18/19 combined hwy and city driving and nearly 20/21.5 hwy only with a fully loaded rig with people and gear. i remember reading somewhere that 12btc was a good place to run at and have set it in that general area. now im getting about 17 hwy and 15/16 in a combined environment. where is everyone running your timing at and what kind of mileage have you been getting and what kind of fuel have you been running? i have been running plus this past few weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would recheck your timing belt installation its very easy to have one cam gear move one tooth off when adjusting the tensioner.
X2, sounds like the timing belt is off that one tooth on one side, causing a slight combustion miscalculation, resulting in improper timing...I'd say if the shop did the work, I would bring it back to them to fix, if you did it, looks like there goes an afternoon/half day...but that is where I, and I am sure a bunch of other guys on here, would start. Also, go through and ensure all your electrical connections are cleaned, greased with dielectric grease, and fully connected.

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I did have it one of the cams a tooth off when I first finished the work. It ran but poorly and would overheat if left idling using the ac ordoing any driving that wasn't on flat ground. It was the driver side head that was off and after I did the timing the proper way things smoothed out really well. But she still kinda lacked power. Not as bad as before but I could tell. After advancing my timing to the 10-12 degree area I saw a big increase in Power and milage. But it's still isn't where she use to be before I took it apart. But it runs good enough for the moment. I'm not in a hurry to take that belt off again. Those cams are a son of a bitch to keep in place as you put the belt on. Is there some kind of tool for that?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have seen a fabricated one...I even saw where one guy used some flat bar to go in between two of the bolts to hold them in place...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Also, when you get it to tdc, make sure your distributor is pointed directly at #1 while your distributor is adjusted into the middle (adjustment both ways), just to make sure!

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.