Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning everyone.

For those of you who are aspiring to become pro-photographers, or are just enthusiastic hobbyists, I recommend KEH.com if you can’t find your desired camera gear at a local shop.
I have been dealing with KEH since 2010 and they sell good quality used equipment that they guarantee for at least 6 months.

I am including links to the items to show you what they look like and their typical cost.

I currently have a Nikon D810 body, which is 36 megapixels.
Nikon D810 DSLR Camera Body {36MP}

My primary lens is a 14mm F2.8 Ultra-Wide angle that I use for most of my landscape shots.
Nikon AF NIKKOR 14mm f/2.8 D ED Autofocus Lens {Rear Gel} Rear Focusing System

I also have a 20-35mm F2.8 that is good for medium range landscapes or close portraits. It is also a good general purpose lens if you’re just starting out.
I actually used this one for many years before getting the 14mm.
Nikon AF NIKKOR 20-35mm f/2.8 D IF Autofocus Lens {77}

I also have a 105mm F2.8 Macro for extreme closeups of flowers and bugs.
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8 G Micro ED VR Autofocus IF Lens {62}

In addition to the ones listed above I used to have a Fixed Focal 400mm F2.8 and a Zoom 70-200mm F2.8.
But I got those back in 2010 and they were starting to give me problems, so I traded them in to KEH for three newer lenses.

KEH gave me $1472 for the two lenses. Because of their age and condition that was the best they could do.
They also gave me an additional $100 trade in credit because of my being a prior customer since 2010.

I originally paid $7000 for the 400mm and $1500 for the 70-200mm back in 2010.
But after 12 years in my possession they had some significant wear and tear on them.
The Fixed Focal 400mm F2.8 was making a whine when focusing, which meant the motor in it was going bad. And it was very heavy, over 10 pounds. It actually made my shoulder sore carrying it around. The Nikon 400mm F2.8 was also 18 inches long and would not fit in a backpack.
Plus I never used the 400mm very often. I shot the Moon with it a few times, and I photographed some birds. The last time I used it was two years ago when I photographed the NeoWise Comet.
It sat in my closet for very long periods of time, which might be why the motor was going bad. Arizona’s dusty environment was not good for it either.

The 70-200mm also had problems focusing which forced me to use manual focus quite often. Because of its age I decided to trade it in as well.

I used the trade-in credit from KEH to order a Nikon16mm F2.8 Fisheye that has a 220 degree field of view, which means it can see slightly behind me. The Fisheye will be useful if I am under an arch or in a cave.
Nikon AF NIKKOR 16mm f/2.8 D Fisheye Autofocus Lens {Rear Bayonet}

I also ordered a 50mm F1.4, which is a very fast lens. It will be useful for my lightning photography or shooting at high speed.
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 G Autofocus Lens {58}

I also ordered a Sigma F4.5 120-400mm zoom lens to replace the Fixed Focal 400mm F2.8 I traded in.
I had to get the Sigma because the Nikon version was too expensive, but Sigma is a good and well known brand.
There was only one Sigma left at KEH so I was lucky to get it. It is apparently very popular.
Here are its specs from the Sigma website.
APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM | View Discontinued Lenses | Lenses | SIGMA Corporation

The Sigma only weighs 3.5 pounds and is only 8 inches long, so I can fit it into my backpack.
The Sigma is a slower lens with a F4.5 aperture, but since I only need it for specialized shots I don’t need it to be real fast.

The nice thing is that it did not cost me any extra money. After placing the order for the new lenses I still had over $292 left from the trade-in, so I had them send the credit balance to my PayPal account. I can use the surplus money for gas when I take more trips.

The lenses shipped out from KEH this morning and are due to arrive next Thursday.
The first thing I will do is test them out when I go back to the Grand Canyon, which will be within the next two weeks.

Any questions about photography or places in Arizona to visit feel free to reply.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
Good morning everyone.

For those of you who are aspiring to become pro-photographers, or are just enthusiastic hobbyists, I recommend KEH.com if you can’t find your desired camera gear at a local shop.
I have been dealing with KEH since 2010 and they sell good quality used equipment that they guarantee for at least 6 months.

I am including links to the items to show you what they look like and their typical cost.

I currently have a Nikon D810 body, which is 36 megapixels.
Nikon D810 DSLR Camera Body {36MP}

My primary lens is a 14mm F2.8 Ultra-Wide angle that I use for most of my landscape shots.
Nikon AF NIKKOR 14mm f/2.8 D ED Autofocus Lens {Rear Gel} Rear Focusing System

I also have a 20-35mm F2.8 that is good for medium range landscapes or close portraits. It is also a good general purpose lens if you’re just starting out.
I actually used this one for many years before getting the 14mm.
Nikon AF NIKKOR 20-35mm f/2.8 D IF Autofocus Lens {77}

I also have a 105mm F2.8 Macro for extreme closeups of flowers and bugs.
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8 G Micro ED VR Autofocus IF Lens {62}

In addition to the ones listed above I used to have a Fixed Focal 400mm F2.8 and a Zoom 70-200mm F2.8.
But I got those back in 2010 and they were starting to give me problems, so I traded them in to KEH for three newer lenses.

KEH gave me $1472 for the two lenses. Because of their age and condition that was the best they could do.
They also gave me an additional $100 trade in credit because of my being a prior customer since 2010.

I originally paid $7000 for the 400mm and $1500 for the 70-200mm back in 2010.
But after 12 years in my possession they had some significant wear and tear on them.
The Fixed Focal 400mm F2.8 was making a whine when focusing, which meant the motor in it was going bad. And it was very heavy, over 10 pounds. It actually made my shoulder sore carrying it around. The Nikon 400mm F2.8 was also 18 inches long and would not fit in a backpack.
Plus I never used the 400mm very often. I shot the Moon with it a few times, and I photographed some birds. The last time I used it was two years ago when I photographed the NeoWise Comet.
It sat in my closet for very long periods of time, which might be why the motor was going bad. Arizona’s dusty environment was not good for it either.

The 70-200mm also had problems focusing which forced me to use manual focus quite often. Because of its age I decided to trade it in as well.

I used the trade-in credit from KEH to order a Nikon16mm F2.8 Fisheye that has a 220 degree field of view, which means it can see slightly behind me. The Fisheye will be useful if I am under an arch or in a cave.
Nikon AF NIKKOR 16mm f/2.8 D Fisheye Autofocus Lens {Rear Bayonet}

I also ordered a 50mm F1.4, which is a very fast lens. It will be useful for my lightning photography or shooting at high speed.
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 G Autofocus Lens {58}

I also ordered a Sigma F4.5 120-400mm zoom lens to replace the Fixed Focal 400mm F2.8 I traded in.
I had to get the Sigma because the Nikon version was too expensive, but Sigma is a good and well known brand.
There was only one Sigma left at KEH so I was lucky to get it. It is apparently very popular.
Here are its specs from the Sigma website.
APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM | View Discontinued Lenses | Lenses | SIGMA Corporation

The Sigma only weighs 3.5 pounds and is only 8 inches long, so I can fit it into my backpack.
The Sigma is a slower lens with a F4.5 aperture, but since I only need it for specialized shots I don’t need it to be real fast.

The nice thing is that it did not cost me any extra money. After placing the order for the new lenses I still had over $292 left from the trade-in, so I had them send the credit balance to my PayPal account. I can use the surplus money for gas when I take more trips.

The lenses shipped out from KEH this morning and are due to arrive next Thursday.
The first thing I will do is test them out when I go back to the Grand Canyon, which will be within the next two weeks.

Any questions about photography or places in Arizona to visit feel free to reply.
Thanks for the equipment links that you provided. I appreciate the benefit of your experiences shared.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts