Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay- so I bought this car a year ago. 2004 Xtera XE with 133,000 miles. Since then I 've dumped about 4k into repairs and bullshit. (now at 145,000 miles)

When I bought the car it already had the SES light on but I needed a car and the mechanic I took it to said it was still a good car. I got my left Catalytic converter replaced as well as idle control valve, a bunch of other maintenance, and a full engine tune. SES light off and problem seemingly fixed. a month after this my car started to make a clicking sound when starting up and about 2 clicks per second while driving/accelerating.

Two weeks ago, I was driving my car to work and it completely died in the middle of the highway- all acceleration quit but battery and electronics stayed on. Got it towed to the Nissan dealership. They tell me it's the timing belt. I get the entire thing replaced (along with all the other goods under there). When I pick up the car they tell me it's idling super rough and that they don't know what it is but probably the other Catalytic converter. I take the car anyways thinking I'm good to go if they say it's drivable.

I go to start my car two days after the timing belt is replaced and get an SES code again. Take it to AutoZone and they say it's
P0300- Random Misfire
P0328- Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank 1)

I drive some more that day.... SES shuts off.

Now to yesterday I drive to the store and go to leave- car turns over super weird and SES light starts flashing. I check the fuel cap, let the car sit for 20 minutes- light it off. I still take it to Nissan and they get another P0300 code for random misfire. They still claim it's probably not their fault but just got new timing belt and never had a misfire before they replaced it??

Car is still running superrr rough but is fine when I accelerate(except for the clicking). Nissan is charging me for a diagnostic to see what else is wrong with the car even though they gave it to me running shitty? (guess it's my fault for taking it).

Anyone have any insight into this??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like they put the timing belt off one notch on the crank...I did this and had to re-do the timing belt. The camshafts are marked but the crank is not marked for TDC(top dead center) so some tend to get misaligned when the belt goes on.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Good to know I am not the only one to have the timing belt one tooth off on the crank sprocket. I did the same thing...idled very rough, low power, but if would smooth out under load.

Had to re-do the timing belt, and you can bet your ass I counted each and every tooth on the belt the next time. I marked it with paint pen before taking the old belt off, but the crank is tough to keep aligned. You really need to go off of counting the teeth between sprocket marks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The knock sensor is bad news to hear about. My knock sensor went off and I couldn’t go above 55mph. Was able to get it into dealership and they had to replace entire engine as it would turn out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay- so I bought this car a year ago. 2004 Xtera XE with 133,000 miles. Since then I 've dumped about 4k into repairs and bullshit. (now at 145,000 miles)

When I bought the car it already had the SES light on but I needed a car and the mechanic I took it to said it was still a good car. I got my left Catalytic converter replaced as well as idle control valve, a bunch of other maintenance, and a full engine tune. SES light off and problem seemingly fixed. a month after this my car started to make a clicking sound when starting up and about 2 clicks per second while driving/accelerating.

Two weeks ago, I was driving my car to work and it completely died in the middle of the highway- all acceleration quit but battery and electronics stayed on. Got it towed to the Nissan dealership. They tell me it's the timing belt. I get the entire thing replaced (along with all the other goods under there). When I pick up the car they tell me it's idling super rough and that they don't know what it is but probably the other Catalytic converter. I take the car anyways thinking I'm good to go if they say it's drivable.

I go to start my car two days after the timing belt is replaced and get an SES code again. Take it to AutoZone and they say it's
P0300- Random Misfire
P0328- Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank 1)

I drive some more that day.... SES shuts off.

Now to yesterday I drive to the store and go to leave- car turns over super weird and SES light starts flashing. I check the fuel cap, let the car sit for 20 minutes- light it off. I still take it to Nissan and they get another P0300 code for random misfire. They still claim it's probably not their fault but just got new timing belt and never had a misfire before they replaced it??

Car is still running superrr rough but is fine when I accelerate(except for the clicking). Nissan is charging me for a diagnostic to see what else is wrong with the car even though they gave it to me running shitty? (guess it's my fault for taking it).

Anyone have any insight into this??
I've changed the timing belt on my 04 a couple of times, the first time it broke while I was driving and honesty it's pretty easy to do. I find it hard to believe that a dealership would get the belt off a tooth. I'm not sticking up for dealerships, but generally their mechanics are very knowledgeable and going back into the engine wouldn't really be that big of deal for them it they screwed it up. To me your problem seems to be more related to ignition timing rather than engine timing. A few years ago I had the same issue so I changed the knock sensor, which is located under the intake and isn't something that you want to do unless you have to. After changing the knock sensor the engine wouldn't start. It ended up being the distributor. The ignition system is kinda old fashioned in the sense that it still has a distributor with a built in coil as opposed to individual coils for each cylinder. When the coil starts going bad it misfires and the knock sensor cant compensate so the computer gives a knock sensor code. A flashing light on any OBD2 system indicates a misfire. If this was a system with individual coils it would probably be a coil or whatever regulates the coils but in this system its all located in the distributor. I think it's likely that when your timing belt broke the sudden stoppage could have messed up your distributor. I bought one on ebay for like $30.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely sounds like the belt. Nissan isn’t a great company. The dealer in Petaluma tried to steal my car. They told me it was “totaled” and they lied about the repairs needed. That was 2 years ago and I am still driving it. Take it to another Nissan dealer or mechanic if you can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree the knock sensor should not have killed the engine. Yes it was the distributor you needed to replace. I've been driving mine 03 Xe with a bad knock sensor for about a year. It runs. I just started hearing that click, So I'll check my belt. All that other stuff like the Catalytic converter. is BS. They just didn't know what they were doing

·
Registered
700 Posts
Check your Fuel Pressure Regulator. With the engine running just pop the little vacuum line off the back of the back of the intake manifold. There are two little lines side by side. It is usually the one closest tot he passenger side, but I'd pop them both off just to be sure. If fuel comes out you need a new FPR. A ruptured diaphragm in the FPR can cause the issues that you are describing. It will allow unmetered fuel to enter the intake, which causes random misfires and a rich condition that the computer can't solve since it doesn't know where the extra fuel is coming from. It can also set a code for the O2 sensors and the catalytic converters and cause exhaust smoke. Left unchecked it will result in the cast becoming clogged. The extent of the problems it causes will also be determined by the size of the leak in the diaphragm.

With regard to the knock sensor. On normally aspirated models the knock sensor was put in as more of an afterthought to bring it into OBDII compliance. Since the gen1 X doesn't have variable valve or even ignition timing (we still use a distributor instead of coils) the knock sensor really doesn't do anything except let you know when there is a problem. On the super charged models it is important and I wouldn't run with a bad one. In fact, on the SC a bad knock sensor will more than likely drop your engine into limp mode.

If you do need to change the FPR, I would change the knock sensor while you are in there since you are there anyways. Likewise, I would change the valve cover gaskets at that time as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So....does this mean since I just bought a 02' SE/SC with 138,000 miles that has the P0328 code going off I'm about to be in deep Shi*?
Go to Youtube and look for repositioning a KS on your vehicle, basically you buy another KS (ten bucks or so on flea bay) find the wires in the loom that attach to the bad KS cut them and splice to the new KS, then you bolt the new KS to (maybe) the intake or as close to the old as you can. It's not perfect but it will work and you can lose the thrown codes. The old/bad KS is quite a simple job but you have to remove heaven and earth to get to it (ask me how I know). You can do this even if you are not mechanical minded after watching video.
PS once when I removed the timing belt and created a hole to the front of the engine I wondered if some one with a real small hand could reach into the back and unbolt the KS??? Maybe one of our members can try when the do a timing belt job???????????

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yep. A lot of people have opted to change the location of their knock sensor. I would caution against it on a Super Charged engine though since the knock sensor actually does actively do something and changing the position will change it's ability to sense knocks. It's on the center of the top of the engine block for a reason. That is so that it can sense all of the cylinders more or less equally and clearly without interference from gasket material etc that may dampen the vibrations.

·
Registered
700 Posts
From your thread title, it is also important to note that any time the SES is flashing you should not be driving the vehicle. A solid SES indicates a warning that something is wrong. A flashing SES indicates that something major is wrong and damage is likely to occur. Most vehicles will drop into limp mode at a flashing SES

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yep. A lot of people have opted to change the location of their knock sensor. I would caution against it on a Super Charged engine though since the knock sensor actually does actively do something and changing the position will change it's ability to sense knocks. It's on the center of the top of the engine block for a reason. That is so that it can sense all of the cylinders more or less equally and clearly without interference from gasket material etc that may dampen the vibrations.
Is this vehicle S Charged?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts