Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I figured that it is probably time that I did a build thread, I've had my Xterra for about 2 years now and have done quite a bit to it so I guess ill get started.

2003 Nissan Xterra SE/SC 4x4
Exterior Color Silver Ice
Interior Color Black/Blue Cloth

Interior Upgrades
Kenwood KDC-X996 Stereo
Mirage MX36HP 10 Meter radio 50W with Wilson 5000 mag mount antenna
In cab winch control

Exterior Upgrades
40 inch CSI led flood light bar
Roof rack shovel and axe mount
Custom hidden winch mount
Ramsey REP 8000 Winch

Suspension and Steering Upgrades
AC Articulator Suspension Package with Rancho RS9000XL shocks
Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings
AC HD TRAs
AC Idler Arm Brace

Performance Upgrades
K and N Drop in Filter
Factory Supercharger
Quest 125 amp Alternator
Optima yellow top Battery

Tires
BFG AT KO2s 275 70R17

Im sure there are probably a few things that im missing but ill add it later

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I bought the Xterra a little over 2 years ago because I had a 2002 F150 Lariat that I loved but it was just too big for the trails, so I did some research and came up with three vehicles that I was interested in, a Jeep Wrangler, Toyota 4Runner, and the Nissan Xterra. I hated the way the Jeep drove and the 4Runner was either too old, too many miles, or too much money for me at the time (I currently sell Toyotas and they are totally worth the money) and I also thought the 4Runners weren't as rugged as the Xterra. So after doing some searching I found the car, I got it off Craigslist and the lady that owned it used it as a weekend camping rig and it was all stock, so I swooped it up. Here are a few pics right after I bought it.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said the lady that bought it new took really good care of it so I asked her if she had any original paperwork on the Xterra and she pulled out a file of service history and this.......SWEET.......these are so hard to find on used cars this old. She also had the original brochure as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this was my first Nissan as well as my first forced induction vehicle so when I bought it I made sure to buy a warranty and im glad I did because within a year I had to rebuild the transmission, put a header pipe on bec ause it cracked (supposedly a common problem), and put a control arm on. The warranty company wanted to put a used transmission from a junk yard in to fix it but the transmission shop said they would rebuild the transmission and give it a lifetime warranty for an additional $700, Totally worth it to me because if they put a used one in how would I know that wouldn't go out as well. Now I get it serviced every year to keep that lifetime warranty. Its just peace of mind so now I can drive the piss out of it if I want and if it breaks they fix it no cost. The work was done by Thurston County Transmission in Lacey Washington, Jason there is great to work with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO......because I had a warranty on the car I couldn't do any modifications to the suspension or anything because it would void the warranty, that gave me some time to save money and find what I really wanted to do to the car after the warranty expired. In the meantime there were a few things that I could do that wouldn't void the warranty. First I did a stereo and a Cobra 29 CB Radio.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your Probably wondering what that switch is, well its to these........its a CSI 40 inch led flood bar. Im in the woods a lot at night and im on the trails, that's why I went with the flood instead of the spot. At first I went with the economy series LED light bar from CSI because it was like $300, but with the rain in Washington it got a lot of condensation in there and im pretty anal and that bugged the crap out of me so I returned it and paid the $200 difference for the CSI low profile dual row led light bar, MUCH better, but honestly if I did it all again I would probably go with a single row for a few reasons, one being that I think it would throw more than enough light, and two, I lust like the lower profile look.

One thing I found is that being a 2003 theres fewer accessories for the car, they don't make a light bar mount so I had to fab one. I went to Home depot and got a piece of flat angle iron and drilled it to make a mount. I used the existing bolts that hold the roof rack on to secure it and it seems to work good. I have moved the light bar around a few times because if the wind noise and it looked funky. I like this spot the best and it doesn't make any noise. Heres a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then the axe and shovel mount. The axe is a Fiskars medium size axe. I picked this one because it is extremely sharp, light weight and has a synthetic handle since its on the exterior of the vehicle. The shovel is a Craftsman and again it has a synthetic handle and its just beefy. I used Quick fist clamps to secure the axe and shovel to the roof. To secure the clamps I got tome long bolts that would go through the quick fist clamps and thread into the existing holes in the roof rack where the net clips were on the roof basket.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said, im picky, I wanted to clean up my wiring so I ran one thick gauge hot wire from the battery inside the cab to a bus bar then I would run my accessories off the bus bar. One thing I found out was that there is no room behind the dash anywhere in that car. So I removed the glove box and bolted the bus bar to the backside of it. I got through the firewall by taking off a little plate by the brake booster and drilling a hole and putting a grommet in it. I think this will only work on an automatic trans car because on a manual where the plate would be is something for the clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to make a mount for my LED light, its a Fenix, cost me around $40, anyway I found some brackets at ACE and mounted it right on the map holder. If you have one of these theres a cover on the back side that comes off and I used the existing screws to hold the bracket in place. I love this mod because its simple, the light is accessible and it doesn't rattle around.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The next thing I wanted to do was put a hidden winch under there. I like winch bumpers on some trucks but I dont really like them on the gen 1.5 Xterra I think they just look gaudy. A buddy at work had a Ramsey REP 8000 that he had lying around that wasn't really used and I swooped that up for $250 along with a fairlead, 2 snatch blocks, and a tow strap (what a deal) then I took the X to a fab shop in Tumwater called Northwest Coach and talked with Ryan, I think hes part owner, but he did a good job with what I wanted done. He made a mount for the winch and the fairlead and put a skid plate underneath it with holes that would drain water as well. Then he had it powdercoated black. Cost was aroung $600 for a total of $850 which is probably about half of that to get a bumper, ship it, and all that, plus its less weight on the front. I wanted to make it so I could get MYSELF out of a tough situation if I needed, so I picked up an in cab winch controller that would be integrated into the dash.

I had also been looking to upgrade my CB theres just no power with the Cobra 29s because the legal limit is 4 watts and theres just no range so I picked up a Mirage by Ranger radios, its a 10 meter that pumps out 50 watts so I have some range if im out in the middle of nowhere.

Once I got all the parts I would only have to take apart the dash one more time (by then it had been apart a few times) heres a few pics

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I knew that soon I would be lifting the Xterra so I wanted to take care of all the major maintenance items. I kept getting that pesky knock sensor code so I did the knock sensor, timing belt, water pump, thermosdat, drive belts, spark plugs, and Quest alternator all at the same time. A few pics of the knock sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After my warranty expired it was finally time to do the lift. I chose the AC Articulator suspension package with the Rancho RS9000XL shocks. I chose the Rancho shocks because I had them on my F150 and loved them, I also liked to have the adjustability on the shocks. Before I did the lift I had a set of the BFG KOs and I really liked them so for the upgrade I went with a set of the KO2s and I have to say they are great. The tread is aggressive enough for everything I do off road and they are quiet on the road. The size is 275 70R17. I don't really have any pics of the lift being installed but I just detailed my car the other day and took some pics of it nice and clean so here they are for your viewing pleasure and this is how she currently sits.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
so fresh and so clean! I love how you kept everything as clean as possible!

I need to mount a LED bar on my truck as the highways here in Mexico are rather dark and makes driving at night a challenge as the stock headlights on a 2001 Xterra are pretty bad and the lower driving lights are useless. Until I get my headlights upgraded to projectors this will have to do. I love how you have mounted yours and I think I will go this route as they look great sitting like yours sit.

I had a question about how and where you routed the lights from the top to the inside of the truck. Is it possible you can let me know to see your clean install and possibly some pictures to go along with it?

Thanks in advance and again love how clean your truck looks, tastefully and practically done!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts