Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a nut shell: 2002 Xterra SE V6 146,000 miles. I am not the original owner.
About a month ago timing belt broke.... so I fixed it. Since then it idles kind of rough, misfires when in D at a full stop, it has a rough shift form 1st into 2nd( I am aware of it so I just ever so gently give it gas to get into second)
and my check engine light is on.
I do not have a timing light nor them money to get on (I feel this may be a big help though)

Things Ive replaced since timing belt:
1-all 6 spark plugs (yes even #6 , took me seven hours b/c the porcelain broke on the old one, lucky I for me I was blessed with small woman hands that were able to get around the back of my engine block)

2- 3 other belts
3-harmonic balance
4- fuel filter
5- distributor cap and rotor
6- oil change
7-tranmission fluid and filter change

I just need some advise before I just set her on fire ( I wouldn't literally do that because I live her..... but I am getting to the point I cant read anymore forums...)

If anyone can please help out with the fantastical knowledge Id be forever appreciative.
Oh and if anyone is a pro at older Xterras and in the Southwest Michigan area please also let me know.

Again thank you.
SD

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can get a cheap timing light at harbor freight for less then $20. However, its possible some valves bent when the timing belt broke. Get the check engine light scanned and tell us the code.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
You can rent a timing light at Auto-Zone .
And Pd85 is right the valves are probably bent.
And why did you replace the H Balance ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@packpride85 I'll make a trip to Harbor Freight this weekend. Ive gotten it scanned right after replacing my timing belt (that is when the check engine light first came on) but I miss placed the list of 3 codes it read. I'll stop this weekend and get it scanned again and let you know.
@dejablue I believe the reason I didn't rent one form autozone is becuase I didnt have the funds to rent it, but I'll look into it. I had to replace the harmonic balancer because the outer ring broke on it.

What is procedure if the valves were bent and how would one go about checking such thing?

Thank you both very much for replying! Greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
255 Posts
@packpride85 I'll make a trip to Harbor Freight this weekend. Ive gotten it scanned right after replacing my timing belt (that is when the check engine light first came on) but I miss placed the list of 3 codes it read. I'll stop this weekend and get it scanned again and let you know.
@dejablue I believe the reason I didn't rent one form autozone is becuase I didnt have the funds to rent it, but I'll look into it. I had to replace the harmonic balancer because the outer ring broke on it.

What is procedure if the valves were bent and how would one go about checking such thing?

Thank you both very much for replying! Greatly appreciated!
Compression test on each cylinder. Compression test kit also available at harbor freight or rental from auto zone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts