Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i drive a 2001 V6 4x4 Xterra. I am the third owner of the girl and she was very well kept. Shes not perfect, but is a reliable beast. I’m slowly making repairs and improvements on her, but i’m ready to tackle the big one. The past owners used the X for a hunting vehicle, and while on one of their trips they backed her into a tree, leaving a nasty dent in the back. The window didn’t shader and the back still opened and closed with no problem. They painted over it to keep it from rusting. I have thought about sanding the paint off and using the hot glue gun trick to pull the dent out. But i am afraid of the pressure that could stress the glass causing it to crack or shader. My second idea was to cut the metal off, and to go to the junk yard and find another X to take the metal curve from. If there is a easy way to remove the window then i would want to try to hammer it out or to try the hot glue trick. Is there an easy way to pull the glass out? And should i worry about the glass being damaged leaving it in?
thanks 🙏

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
👆hot glue stick dent fix trick👆
and i know that the glue would remain on the metal, i was just gonna grind it down and paint over it

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another question would be how hard it is to replace the back window on your own? figured i could smash out that window, try to hammer the dent out, and get another window from a junk yard. has anyone ever replaced that back window?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,792 Posts
I had the right rear quarter window replaced by Safelite after my 2001 was hurt in an accident. It's basically glued to the body. You'd need to cut the rubber to separate the window and body and then you could do all the body work you wanted before putting the window back in.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra SE V6 M/T
99 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if you were to go to a junkyard and find an X to get the metal curve from, or to get the back glass from. Wouldn't you come out better just replacing the whole lift gate?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,792 Posts
It's actually the body corner that needs some TLC, between the liftgate and quarter window.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,381 Posts
another question would be how hard it is to replace the back window on your own? figured i could smash out that window, try to hammer the dent out, and get another window from a junk yard. has anyone ever replaced that back window?
That dent is not something you would be hammering out or pulling. The rear edge of the dent has some really hard edges. I would consider drilling some holes to give the bondo something to bite on and then use the type of bondo that already has some fiberglass mixed into the bondo to do a fill and shape.

·
Registered
2000 Xterra 4x4
20 Posts
That dent is not something you would be hammering out or pulling.
Not completely, but I'd still try to hammer it to approximately the original shape, then use bondo to get it right. Otherwise you'd end up with a huge bondo blob that might crack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts