Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Pro 4X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought home my new (to me) xTerra after having to give up my Honda Element of 19 years - a very sad goodbye :( First impulse was to get another, but not as easy to find and still pricey. I just wanted something to throw my kayak in and shuttle my dog to the park, ya know?

So, thought maybe the Toyota FJ; nice, but cramped and a gas chugger.
Honda Pilot; not very appealing.
4Runner: Meh, ok- but still pricey.
Jeep; Liberty was small, Wrangler was overkill. Plus, the CVT engine...?
Land Rover; hell no.

One day I'm walking out of Costco, and, "Whoa... what is that there?". "xTerra". Nissan? Sure, it's probably not as dependable as Honda or Toyota, but not the first time I've driven a Nissan (had a Sentra through my later college years). 2-3 weeks of research and CarGurus hunting and well, here I am.

Tried to find one in manual (to avoid the CVT thing)- but the only one available and in my price range was in NY, and didn't think it was worth the hassle. How bad could it be? (cringing at the answer...)

First impression; well... impressed? Time will tell, but I have to say I feel like I upgraded (as long as everything is in working order). I can tell there's lots to discover about this vehicle- another reason why I joined here. For instance, last night I thought I may have gotten ripped off by not having found the spare wheel jack and hardware. Turns out, it's hidden under the rear seat! LOL! thanks, YouTube. Oh, and those rails in the back storage area- cargo net, maybe? Airbag light blinking, but I think I found the solution to that as well.

For the Element questions, there's Eric the Car Guy on YouTube. Any recommendations for the xTerra? I've seen a couple by some "Ry" guy so far who was helpful- any others out there?

Anyway, hoping to share good stories on here, but I'm sure I'll have my share of technical questions as well. Glad to be here. Looking forward to the miles ahead....

·
Registered
Pro 4X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to CX!

And congrats on the new ride. Nice pic. Sure looks, er, clean. Ewwwww! :D
Haha- yeah, dealer did a good job cleaning her up. Was a bit of a mess when I test drove it. Took me a couple days before finally deciding to put in a bid. Summer is here, tho- I'll put some wear in soon 😉

Still no luck with that damn blinking airbag issue. Tried the key turn 3x and count method. Just keep getting the blinking code of 12. I'll probably have to take it in- either that, or get the black electrical tape out. LOL! Been thinkin' bout getting one of them SUV tents...:unsure:

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,531 Posts
What on Earth will an SUV tent do for a blinking SRS light? Oh, wait, I think I know. You'll be outside the rig and won't be able to see it, even when sleeping. But driving it from the rooftop will have to be a much harder task than just putting up with a light.

·
Registered
Pro 4X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh- noo, was just sayin'- would be nice to have an SUV tent for this vehicle.

Anyway-- so the SRS light issue; it's SPREADING!! This weekend my check engine light AND road slip light came on. Really, am I gonna regret the transition to Nissan...? Hope not- I do like the vehicle. She's just putting up a fight!😠

I got some researching to do-- maybe I can take it to a pro and have all three of them knocked out at once and be done with it. The issues, I mean- not the car 😛

1 - 7 of 7 Posts