Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm posting this (with my brother's consent - he's not on here the forum.... yet) for entertainment and warning purposes. So here's the scoop...

My brother was out in his X with another SUV (Tahoe i think) in an ungraded field that was on his friend's property. For some reason they decided to have a donut competition. The damage from rocks flying alone would have been enough for me to not do this in a STILL UNDER WARRANTY '05 Xterra. From what I understand the donuts from a stop were not going as well as planned so he started taking a run up, cranking the wheel hard and going into a power slide, followed by as many donuts as possible. This seemed to be working well but one of his friends even mentioned that the X was looking mighty top-heavy on some of those turns. Just like my brother, he didn't heed his friend's warning. Sure enough on a later run the X's front right tire hit a rut of some sort and stopped on a dime... while the rest of the truck continued upward and over. The X landed upside down resting on the front of the hood and just above the front windshield. I'm not sure why the X didn't lay down on the rack instead of rest on the hood, but I guess it had to do with the engine being so heavy compared to the rest of the car. My brother, despite being upside down (and quite angry with gravity, the rut and himself), was unscathed. And as you can see from the below pictures the Xterra windows didn't even break or crack, which impressed me. My brother's friends rolled the X back just using a tow rope. The X didn't start (which surprised me) so my dad had to come and tow it back home with his suburban where the troubleshooting began. After inspection engine was found to be still mechanically sound, oil had just flowed into the pistons (and everywhere else possible) while it was upside down. After draining things out she started up beautifully... well maybe beautiful isn't the best word haha. She started. And while the insurance company is going to cover the event, at this point it's looking like the X might have to be totaled.

:heul3-big:

It's a shame that something like this happened to such a pristine car (he was crazy obsessive about it) while doing something so stupid such as donuts. Needless to say, lessons have been learned, both financially and action-wise. Who has the prettier Xterra now bro?!?!?! haha

Poor Xterra

Skyward Headlight

Missing Mirror

Back Wheel Well Damage

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
Good to hear your brother was unhurt. Sucks he had to learn that lesson in that manner. Those pics are another testament to the structural design of the X. There have been quite a few people roll them and to the best of my knowledge, EVERYONE has walked away pretty much unscathed.

If it's totaled, will your brother get to keep it or will the insurance company take claims on it?

If he gets to keep it, I see a good SAS project in the making. :)

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They would take it and give us a check for the minimum amount they could find an X in similar condition BEFORE the roll. I've considered following the Xterra to the insurance action... hehehe

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
So, what Happened Chad...you didn't tell him about the air dam spoiler action did you?

Always painful to see and X in that shape... Glad to hear that your bro's ok.

·
*Channylicious*
1,293 Posts
Ouch... That hurts me just looking at it.. Glad your brothers ok, but smack him for me!! Haha, Im suprised insurance is taking care of it, most of the time if they know your being stupid and mess it up, they wont do anything for ya.. even with full coverage.. but thats Kansas too... Kansas is a F*d up state.... haha. Hope everyone learns a lesson from this!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Ya know, that doesn't look bad at all for the circumstances. The only part that looks like a tough repair is that rear quarter panel.

I think there's a fuel cutoff switch that cuts off the fuel supply in a rollover to keep the car from blowing up. There's usually a switch that needs to be reset somewhere and sometimes resets itself depending on circumstances, it should be in the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
462 Posts
TBH, it really doesn't look bad for a vehicle that's rolled. I've seen more beat up trucks on the trail. If it runs good and seals up from the weather... ta heck with insurance.

Might need to re-aim that headlight though. :lol:

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Find out if the insurance company will let you buy it back, if so PM me, I'd like to buy it.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Damn,
It actually doesn't look that bad for a roll over.
I see a rolled one practically daily at my job.......
I could have been much worse trust me.
I am glad that he was OK:wink-big:

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Damn,
It actually doesn't look that bad for a roll over.
I see a rolled one practically daily at my job.......
I could have been much worse trust me.
I am glad that he was OK:wink-big:
I forgot you worked in claims, lol. I'm looking for a light roll over like that one. PM me if you come across one that's available.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Glad everyone is ok.
The fact that all the glass stayed intact is amazing to me but that's a perfect excuse to go mod wild...the heck with insurance claim.

Maybe we need to get Creepy to make some big band-aid stickers for boo-boo's like that quarter panel. hehe.

I was rear ended in my '69 truck and their insurance wanted to total it, I told the agent I'd be willing to take $700 less of settlement if I got to keep the truck and the guy couldn't print out another check fast enough. That way everything was settled and he didn't have to deal with the 'junked' vehicle.

You might consider asking for a smaller claim but keep the X.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fzzt, that's an awesome idea!!! If that doesn't work I'll keep you posted Creepy.

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Ok I will keep my eyes peeled
05+ I am assuming is what you are looking for?:lutscher-big:
05+ X or Armada or 4 door Titan, 4x4's only.

And you know me I don't really care what color, if I don't like it I'll just change it, lol.:aufkopfhauen-big:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts