Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is done after ordering parts that were not exactly like the original parts. They fit but the difference is the pressure hose connection to the power steering pump. (I heard that Nissan redesigned it after and that's why its such a mess to get the original type hoses, if you even can, which is why me and others had to buy the new style which requires a new pressure switch and pigtail)

TOOLS
-24mm Socket
-16mm Wrench
-14mm Wrench
-12mm Wrench/ Socket (I used a socket on a impact gun with extension)
-10mm Wrench/ Socket (Used a impact on some, and a wrench on one)

-PB blaster is recommended. (use pb blaster on all the nuts and bolts especially the ones on the power steering gear)

I used parts that I ordered online and some I bought at local auto parts stores.

PARTS
-PRESSURE HOSE $69.99 + shipping
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1374588,parttype,7320

-RETURN HOSE $57.79 + shipping
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1374588,parttype,7324

-POWER STEERING PRESSURE SWITCH "SENSOR" $25.99 + shipping (CONNECTS TO END OF PRESSURE HOSE)
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1374588,parttype,7408

-AND A CONNECTOR "pigtail" $12.99 + shipping (FOR THE PRESSURE SWITCH, BECAUSE OLD CONNECTER DOES NOT MATCH, SO YOU HAVE TO SPLICE THE TWO WIRES INTO THE NEW CONNECTOR)
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-pigtail-28419a/18470559-p

"You can buy the connector and switch at a local store, Switch is 45$ at store but 26$ at rock auto exact same part, Connector is about 13$ at local store" make sure you use part number for connector it did not show up for my car on their computer but showed up for the frontier"

-FIRST you want to remove the power steering fluid from the reservoir (I failed this part by just removing the pressure hose connection causing the power steering fluid to come out and just pour out all on the ground)
"I would suggest having a bottle or something you can fit underneath the reservoir and disconnecting one of the hoses from it to pour the fluid from the reservoir into the bottle. May be a better way to do it though"

-Remove the hoses connecting to the reservoir. I also removed the reservoir to make it easier to get to places.

-Then remove the 24mm bolt on the pressure hose, using a 24mm socket. (Cover the battery terminal with something to prevent contact with your extension used to get the socket down to remove the bolt. because it will spark if you let the extension touch the terminal)

-Now remove the pressure switch from the connector to allow you to pull the hose out when it is later free from the Xterra.

-We will then remove the other connection points.

-SECOND remove the bracket on the passenger side.

-Remove the Gap Guards(rubber that closes off the engine compartment from mud and water, held on by plastic tabs "I did break some doing this" from the passenger wheel well, So you can get to the bracket easily. Use a 12mm socket to remove the bolt (keep the bracket ,there is a rubber center and a metal back end. and obviously the bolt)

-THIRD Disconnecting the hoses from the power steering gear. (I also removed the driver side wheel to make it easier to access)

-Remove the Gap Guard (body lift liner) from the driver side wheel well.

-I used a 10mm socket to remove the bracket holding the small hose that gets in your way from loosen the nuts holding the threaded flair ends of the hoses in the steering gear. (makes it alot easier with the small hose out of the way)

-Use the 16mm and 14mm wrenches to loosen the nuts and remove the hoses. (I ended up having issues here, the nuts wanted to strip so I had to beat a smaller wrench size onto the nut and was then able to remove it)

- FORTH The bottom brackets(2) now must be removed and the hoses pulled out (keep the brackets and bolts)

-use a 10mm socket or wrench to remove the bolts holding the two bottom brackets, keep the brackets (metal and rubber parts) and the bolts.

-Now pull the hoses out carefully because the ends connecting to the pump will want to catch on everything.

- FIFTH Now its time to install the new hoses.

-Now put in the new hoses from the bottom carefully, again the hoses will want to catch on everything. (Do it one hose at a time)(I did not attach the bottom brackets yet) Also I attached the pressure switch before doing this.

-I bolted them on the steering gear first.

-I then attached the pressure hose connecter onto the connection to the steering pump using the 24mm socket. (used the old bolt but hose came with new bushings)

-( depending on the return hose you buy you might have to use the medium hose on the end of the old one)

-I had to put the part of hose onto the new return hose, I also used the old hose clamps.

-Now use the old bracket to reattach the hoses on the bottom using the 10mm screws and socket/ wrench.

-Then put on the side bracket, but do not completely tighten, let it stay loose to make it easier to move the hoses to attach the reservoir.

-You will probably want to reattach the reservoir at this point (it was a pain in the *** for me "probably because of the 2" body lift" I had to end up bending the reservoir bracket to put it back on after attaching the hoses) (I could not get the hoses on if I put the reservoir on the bracket first) I then bent the bracket back after installing the reservoir.

-Once that is done tighten the side bracket using the 12mm socket

-SIXTH Last thing to install now is the new pressure switch, and the new connection pig tail.

-Installing the pressure switch is easy just screw it onto the point on the pressure hose connection end. (I did this before even putting the pressure hose in from the bottom)

-Now installing the new pig tail to the pressure switch. I cut the old pig tail off right at the end to make sure I had enough wire. I spliced the wires and connected the pigtail to the sensor. I also wrapped the wire in wire tubing bought from any auto parts store (Seen in picture above)

-Last filling the reservoir and bleeding the lines.

-Can find videos on youtube how to do this.

-After everything was done I was interested in getting the lift gap guards (body lift liner) for there front wheel wells since I took them off to get this done, Finally found some mades for a lifted body like mine at this link. http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981431-xterra-body-lift-liners.html

If you see a mistake, or find a easier way to do something let me know so I may fix it or add to the how to.

I hope this was easy to follow, understand, and helps you out (was writing this while watching the Superbowl). If you have any other questions you can refer to this post (I made this "HOW TO" for it) POWER STEERING HOSE REPLACEMENT POST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34390&page=6

·
Registered
36 Posts
I noticed that the rockauto pressure line you linked to had a threaded fitting instead of a banjo fitting. Did you get the banjo fitting at the gear box?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone know if I can just use the threaded fitting on the gear end instead of the banjo fitting?

Edit: Awesome write up BTW Dan. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed that the rockauto pressure line you linked to had a threaded fitting instead of a banjo fitting. Did you get the banjo fitting at the gear box?
Do your new hoses have banjo ends or old hoses? also It would help if you could take some pictures and post them. I would like to add more to this how to for people with optional types of hoses.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will do that tonight. I did not want to hijack your thread but you are right. That would help those with a similar but slightly different configuration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, so I thought I would update and add information to Dan's how to. It appears that my case is yet another somewhat unique instance in the PS pressure line Saga of these early Xterra's. Mine was manufactured 06/99 which changes parameters yet again.

This first picture shows the types of fittings on my X. Notice that both ends have a banjo fitting. Dan's has the same banjo at the pump end but a threaded fitting at the gear end. Taking this hose off is the same as what has previously been described. For me it was harder however because the Banjo bolt at the Pump end refused to budge. I ended up pulling the entire hose up through the engine bay and spinning it so that the whole assembly came out of the pump. I was then able to break the banjo bolt loose with 2 twenty inch wrenches.

[/url][/IMG]

This second image shows the banjo fitting at the pump end with the port for the Pressure sensor. I believe this part to be identical to Dan's. The problem is that most of the replacement hoses come with a different sensor port requiring a different sensor plug to be wired.

[/url][/IMG]

I believe I got around this. The part number I ordered was as follows from Rock Auto

1999 NISSAN FRONTIER 3.3L V6
EDELMANN 92309 Power Steering Pressure Hose $ 48.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 48.89

Notice it says for a 99 frontier but the "more info" button on the website also states it is for the 2000 xterra. Also notice that the port on the hose has a sort of extension off the hose similar to the original with the port at the banjo fitting.

[/url][/IMG]

A word of caution. The Power Steering pressure sensor listed on the website that goes with this hose does not appear to be correct. It does not even have any wires on it.

WRONG

/WRONG

So this is the PS sensor that came off my vehicle. Notice the relatively log nipple that goes into the post on the hose. Different than that of Dan's, but this is yet a different hose. Hopefully it works for the hose I bought.

This is a final picture of the inside of the hose for anyone tempted to try the JB weld method mentioned in the thread that birthed this one. Notice a coiled wire hose inside of the other hose. I also tried to take this into Napa, Car Quest as well as a local AC shop and have them replace the section of hose. They all refused.

[/url][/IMG]

Hopefully this will clear things up a little more for anyone trying this repair.

My part no 92309 will come in today and I will report back on the pressure sensor situation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got the PS Pressure hose part number 92309.

It has the banjo fittings on both ends and looks just like the old one with the exception of the port location.

And the moment of truth...

It fits!

Houston we have a problem.

For some reason this hose is designed so that the pressure sensor port is interfered with by the Power Steering Pulley Bracket.

GRRRR!!!

Oh well. One step closer. I will try to fit it tonight after work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So the trick is to plug in the pressure sensor before attaching the hose. It just barely fits under the bracket.

The original sensor worked on mine.

All is up and running.

So there you have it. Dans is the post July 99 manufacture 1st gen with a threaded and flared gear connector and mine is a pre July 99 manufacture 1st gen.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FYI -

If you have a 2000 Pre July Build, the Power Steering Pressure hose is currently not available through Edelman. After having the local parts dealer contact Edelman directly, we found out that the hose is on back order indefinitely

This is part #92309 .

My next attempt to fix this issue it to take it to some guys to have them re-hose the rubber portion of the hose. Hope it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a GREAT how-to. Thanks Dan! I definitely plan on using this in the future.
Or you guys could make it easy on yourselves and buy part #49710-7B410 for $250.00 from Partsgeek.com that comes with both lines and new sensor that fits original pigtail, and 25.00 for the one that goes to res. and be done with it...

·
Registered
2001 V6 Xterra 4x4
5 Posts
Great instructions. Just did this last night....certainly made a mess with the fluid even with draining out what I could.

I have a 2001 V6 and was able to remove the power steering gear side connection with crows foot when taking the airbox out, though it was tight. Able install and tighten by hand (barely) with open ended wrench to snug it down.

I had to reuse the older bracket that feeds below the radiator connection because the new one didn't fit.

Setup came with connector for sensor that fit well. Didn't come with the larger connection to the reservoir, but the existing one seemed to be ok....will find out.

Here is what I used --> REIN PSH0489 {#497109Z400} (From RockAuto)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts