Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
One of the most important components of doing this is is to have properly inflated tires. This is imperative because you must be accurate when lifting up your X and improperly inflated tires will affect this drastically.

STEP 1: Inflate all 4 tires to the same PSI

STEP 2: On a level surface, place a jack under the front end. Center it. Have a friend view your X from the side. Lift on the Jack until your front end is parallel with the ground and the same height as the rear.

STEP 3: LOOSEN up the Torsion Bar anchor nuts. It is not necessary to remove them completely.

STEP 4: Remove the Torsion bar adjustment bolt, nut, and locking nut. An easy way to do this is to hold the nut stationary while loosening up locking nut. I used 2 adjustable wrenches to accomplish this. After they are loose and there is a thread or 2 between them, then you may line them up and use one adjustable wrench on the two nuts. Take a 19mm wrench and remove the bolt.

This is what the adjustment bracket looks like with the bolt removed

STEP 5: Remove the torsion bars from the torsion bar anchor plate.

STEP 6: Place the adjustment bracket at a 40 degree angle for the passenger side, and 140 degrees for the driver's side. Reinsert the Torsion bars so that they reflect those angles.

Passenger side

Drivers side

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
STEP 7: tighten up completely on the Torsion bar anchor bolts (circled)

STEP 8: Place adjustment Bolt through hole and tighten up until bolt head it completely flush with cross member. The triangle is only used to show that you are flush. You might want to use a straight edge to accomplish this.

STEP 9: Fine tune adjust these adjusting bolts so that the proper height is reached by tightening (to raise) or by loosening (to lower)

You are done! Now go get an alignment!

·
Administrator
11,798 Posts
I think fate is telling me it's time to mod my X. I just ordered my BL and my lift shackles yesterday and today I find complete how to's on doing both a BL and a t-bar re-index/crank.

Appreciate the time and effort:thumbup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
T-Bars

So, you can't just screw in the torsion bar nut to raise your X? Do you have to do it this way? Or, is this just another way to do it? I have used torsion bars to lower a truck, and I just unscrewed the bold to get the drop I wanted. I assumed it would be the same way to raise.

·
ClubX Administratorator
1,777 Posts
A normal adjustment will usually lift the truck just fine, but if the adjuster is already maxed out (usually due to the tbars sagging over time and being re-adjusted), then they will need to be re-indexed to place the adjuster back into normal range.

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a HOW TO- Index your front end but I do not know what happened to it.

With a PML, all you have to do is index. With anything higher than 1.5" then you have to Re-index. You notice my UCA's and TB's are blue? That is because they are aftermarket. when I put the new TB's in, I wanted to lift the front end a total of 3" so when I went to tighten down on my adjusters, I had ran out of thread, so I had to remove and "regrip" if you will. Will you? I kneww you would.

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, this is the RE-index one.

I had one that just said INDEX that I was going to point all of the PML and sagging issues guys to but I think that a moderator deleted it because he most likely thought it was a posting mistake (which I tend to make a lot)

·
ClubX Administratorator
1,777 Posts
Most people refer to Index and Re-Index as the same thing (as opposed to torsion bar adjustment)... so it's possible I may have deleted it thinking it was a double post.

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ohhhhh we are sooooo fighting........lol. Well I was coining the difference as doing a PML vs a full blown SL. This post deals generally with anything above a PML.

This is too much info for a PML.

·
Super Moderator
8,196 Posts
oops................................
*whistles and walks awqay quietly*

·
Super Moderator
8,196 Posts
i so totally thought it was the same thread
im sorry james, let me see if i can resurrect it

·