Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few different versions and I've always got stuff and more stuff that I like to keep in my X; so I'll share how I made my snazzy LOBO Rack. It makes a great place for keeping my safety gear for visiting job sites, recovery gear, etc...

Goal Of Build:
-Keep it simple & make it nice; keeping it around $50
-Super easy install, no drilling/cutting
-Easy to remove if you need the extra space
-Strong with usable space, adjustable
-Full Drop for access when needed
-Provide enough drop for items and still keep line of sight when in "up" position
     --went with about 5" of drop from the bottom of factory clips

Materials:
QTY:    COST (ea.):       DETAILS:
(1)    $14.95      Closetmaid Shelf 48"x16" (Model #73570)
(1)     $4.95       Closetmaid "Closet Rod" Attachment (WHT)
(2)     $2.19       Parachute Buckles (BLK)
(1)     $5.00       60" Roll Nylon Strapping (BLK)
(1)     $6.95       Snaps & Fastener Kit (SLV)
(1)     $2.95       Small Metal Eyelet Kit (SLV)
(4)     $2.50       5/16" Quick Link/****** (SLV)
(1)     $9.99       Can Spary Bed Liner (BLK)
(1)     $1.35       Roll Vinyl Tape (BLK)

Total Cost (if you have NOTHING): $58.33

Hardware you can get from places like Home Depot/ACE. The stuff to make the straps I got from Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts. I tried Michael's first because it was closer, but they didn't have much at all.

I already had some plasti-dip, vinyl tape, and the closet rod attachment from other projects. I ended up just vinyl taping the the quick links, didn't have enough plasti-dip left, and it was way easier and keeps it just as quiet. Plus, when it wears it'll be really easy to re-do. I think the extra cost of the spray bedliner was worth it, I let it dry for 4 days after I sprayed everything. It looks good and grabs a hold of stuff.

Instructions (w/pics)

Here's the shelf & sticker...
It matches the gray interior nicely, too bad the bar attachment only came in white.

More Materials...

Idea of how the bar will hold stuff in with the straps holding it up...

Time to start making the straps...
-Used about 7" +/- for each nylon strap
-After cutting the straps I dabbed a little glue on the edges to keep it from fraying
-Started laying out which end I wanted male/female
-Threaded the straps before attaching snaps & eyelets
     --once you set these the buckle isn't coming off

Setting the snap fasteners in the straps...
-Cut a little hole in the nylon, then put the snaps through & set
-Folded the adjustable end back on itself and secured with eyelets (keep it from sliding all the way out, just in case)

Finished product of all the straps...
-The female end straps have double snaps and go around the base of the shelf
-The male end straps loop through the factory hooks at the top and hang down, fully adjustable

Final Product...
-Everything is sprayed, taped, and spaced to be installed

Before Install...

Installed...empty rack

Installed...loaded in the "Up" position

Installed...loaded in the "Down" position, full drop

View from the Driver's seat back

View from the Rear View Mirror

And that's that, take your time with snaps, and measure to get them to line up where you want them. The adjust ability is great too, try washing the nylon straps first if it's too slick. The nylon had some slick coating on it out of the package. I washed the straps in the sink and roughed em up some playing with them, no slippage problems anymore. Of course, you could always add another snap on the back too.

Safety/Emergency Tool Install:

...kind of related, installed a nifty safety/rescue tool I saw at the hardware store for $15. It's one of those window punch & seatbelt cutter combos. It came with nice mounting bracket and fits perfectly in the underside of the center console with a little trim to the plastic mount. Here's a few pics...

Under console...

Console still closes fully...

Easy to grab...

Enjoy!
:3d_004:

·
Can't Stop The X!!!
513 Posts
im definitely liking this. i think im going to attempt it one of these nice days. thank you for the write up.

·
prop jock
1,090 Posts
nice install....very clean. just be careful with those fastex-plastic clips. i had a set of those on my lobo, they were pretty cheap. held up fine for normal driving. i bounced the rear-end pretty hard one day in a huge pot hole i didn't see at night, and the whole shelf bounced and broke the clips. your setup looks pretty sturdy though, so you should be ok. if you're going to do any offroading, i would swap out for some metal caribeeners just for the trail so you don't have the same issue that i did.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Good job, thanks for the write-up. I'm still undecided about building one of these.
Since you used biners in the front instead of a hard mount, are you seeing much side to side sway?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice install....very clean. just be careful with those fastex-plastic clips. i had a set of those on my lobo, they were pretty cheap. held up fine for normal driving. i bounced the rear-end pretty hard one day in a huge pot hole i didn't see at night, and the whole shelf bounced and broke the clips. your setup looks pretty sturdy though, so you should be ok. if you're going to do any offroading, i would swap out for some metal caribeeners just for the trail so you don't have the same issue that i did.
Thanx. Don't do any hardcore O/R, just trough the trails to and from the primitive camping/hunting areas...I have 2wd, which in FL will get you pretty much where you want to be. The buckles I picked have the V shape in the snap (why I picked them) over the rounder shaped ones, so far I've hit a good pot hole on an R/R crossing and heard it slam, didn't fail, but the nylon did slip a little on the shock drop.

Good job, thanks for the write-up. I'm still undecided about building one of these.
Since you used biners in the front instead of a hard mount, are you seeing much side to side sway?
Thank you, no prob. Actually only a little, it's pretty sturdy. I tried whipping it around a few corners after I got it in there to check. I can see it sway a little, but it doesn't hit glass or anything, it's a good ways away from the sides. Plus, I have that blanket that touches the roof, and the hard hat is just barely clear of it. Those limit the side to side sway by reducing the vertical limits of the horizontal motion. I imagine if it were empty there'd be a little more, but it does have some weight to it and the size, angle, and vinyl on the links don't allow that much rotation in the twist I have them installed. I'll try to snap a few pics of it this week with side clearances and pushing it sideways to see how much it really gives.

·
prop jock
1,090 Posts
yeah man, it looks pretty sturdy, just wanted to give you the heads up so you didn't have the same surprise i did while cruising down the highway one day. as if the massive pothole was enough to deal with while on the road, now i'm trying to pull off and fix the lobo rack before it puts a hole in my sub.....again though man, that's a really clean install...looks great

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...are you seeing much side to side sway?
I didn't have enough hands to push on it and be far enough away to snap a picture. It gives about 2in to either side when I really push on it. There's about 4in of clearance on either side to the window so I haven't had any problems with it hitting at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you want to get handy, you can actually unbolt the roof anchor points and bend up some sheetmetal strips to hold the shelf in place. There's another guy (I believe on the NewX) that did this. It helps to reduce any rattling associated with the rack.

Also, done correctly the Lobo can serve as a pet/cargo barrier as well. I've not done it and I like the liner idea, so I'm definitely going to keep that in mind for when I get around to this.

·
Registered
720 Posts
thats a good wright up. need to do something simalar with my 1st gen.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wish I could see the pics, it says his account is inactive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey all,

I've never made anything like this before but have been thinking about it. I saw a posting or two about the flexible attaching point and concern about sway, if you have this concern as I would, you could try making the rack similar to TopShelf's only add in some high strength suction cups to tie it into the window. I was thinking about getting some for my boat, they claim to hold 100's of pounds and for this application, you could use them only to make the setup rigid as opposed to being the only support mechanism for the rack. Check out these things, I am sure there other brands but I heard these work well http://www.seasucker.com/landing_sep09/automotive.html

·
nXm Sponsorship
4,653 Posts
Hey all,

I've never made anything like this before but have been thinking about it. I saw a posting or two about the flexible attaching point and concern about sway, if you have this concern as I would, you could try making the rack similar to TopShelf's only add in some high strength suction cups to tie it into the window. I was thinking about getting some for my boat, they claim to hold 100's of pounds and for this application, you could use them only to make the setup rigid as opposed to being the only support mechanism for the rack. Check out these things, I am sure there other brands but I heard these work well http://www.seasucker.com/landing_sep09/automotive.html
My lobo doesn't sway enough to ht the windows. I also bought the little rubber caps to fit on the ends of the bars just in case.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just hooked a Lobo Rack in my FirstGen. How do you prevent it from swaying back and forth? I have rubber caps on the ends of the shelf wire rods. But I'm afraid one good swing back and forth and the weight of the gear will crack my widow.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just hooked a Lobo Rack in my FirstGen. How do you prevent it from swaying back and forth? I have rubber caps on the ends of the shelf wire rods. But I'm afraid one good swing back and forth and the weight of the gear will crack my widow.

Any suggestions?
Try putting something tall (like a hard hat or fluffy blanket I used) to limit the vertical space allowing it to sway horizontally. It's like a sideways bump stop; between the tall gear and roof.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts