Nissan XTerra Forum banner
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I need some help on this project. I have a 2004 NA V6 with the PO328 knock sensor code. Truck is not running well and I wanted to try this mod instead of replacing the knock sensor itself. I have a single 560k ohm resistor and when I looked at my connectors I do not have a green, mine are white and grey colored. The grey connector seems to have a white and grey colored wire side by side but I cant seem to get them disconnected as the OP did. Im using the front (male) side connector but im having no luck. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
resistor selection options

I'm looking to do the bypass mod and have a question about the resistors. There have been a number of posts where people have mentioned 1 watt or 1/2 watt options, but I was not able to get what I feel is a definitive resolution on what is best. These are a few 560K ohm options I found at Newegg. Can someone who has done this mod take a quick look and let me know which of these would be my best option?

Thanks much guys. As someone who bought a new 2003 Xterra SC and now has over 251,000 miles on it...this forum has be a HUGE help over the years!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=560k+ohm+resostor&N=-1&isNodeId=1

·
Registered
15 Posts
I finally figured this out. The green plastic insert must be removed with a pick or small pliers to expose the smaller plastic latch. Use a small eyeglasses size flat screwdriver to press the latch and the wire simply pulls out of the rear. Don't loose the green insert or get in a hurry and forget to reinstall it later. Easy project after that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes those green are the ones... I just did this on my S/C engine, afther replaced the knock sensor once, went bad again, I realized it was enof of this, this mode its "the heaven", I have all the power back again, when the auto trans changes the gear, it doesnt drop the rmp like it did b4, mpg WOW back to 19-20!!! Engine runs smooth and quite, no vibrations, no issues at all... I use booster gas always, and it works perfect... Good luck whit this mode, it works, and works really fine.
Could someone please explain me why for the KS bypass 2 lower right terminals are used? My bad

Wrong image bellow, that is not F37 connector on the left, it's F101 connector.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello. New member. I just bought a 2001 Xterra and I will like to do this mod. I have non S/C model. The link on the first post as per the instructions to find my plugs takes me to some kind of weird Asian site. Any help? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok. Turns out this method works on non S/C models. I have a 2001 Xterra SE. The only difference is the color of the plug. The plug is in the same location, mine is dark grey. Cables are in the same spot. Bought the 560k resistor on Amazon pack of 10 for $5.53 (E-Projects 10EP514560K 560k Ohm Resistors, 1/4 W, 5% (Pack of 10): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific). Only need it one of course. Being that the Knock Sensor 22060-30P00 with Harness Wire 24079-31U01 was so cheap on Amazon at $12.99 (https://amzn.to/2GSyuDK) I decided to do the relocation. For that, I also needed the new bolt on top, only need one but had to buy the Pack of ten on Amazon (https://amzn.to/3jKmaE9), and to remove the cables from the plugs I use the cheap Harbor Freight Picks (Mini Pick and Hook Set) to remove the hard plastic tab inside the plug that holds everything down for security and I used these Connector Extractor Puller Release Pin Kit from Amazon (Amazon.com: kweiny Auto Terminals Removal Key Tool Set | Car Electrical Wiring Crimp Connector Extractor Puller Release Pin Kit (11 Pieces): Automotive). Using the same tools I removed the pins from the plug on the new wiring harness and since they are both Nissan they fit with each other perfectly. The vehicle cables will have the female side and the new cable has the male side. Covered each in heat shrink tubing and then use electrical tape to cover the whole thing. A bigger heat shrink would have been better but I didn't have any that big. The new cable is long enough to reach the top of the intake and it is also insulated. Most tutorials I've seen tell you to cut the cable close to the firewall and then attach it to the new harness. There is no need for that. I'll take pictures if anybody is interested.

Thanks to @Jackal for the awesome detailed instructions,

Attachments

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
2,020 Posts
I did this recently mostly to see if there’s a difference in MPG. Haven’t run through even a single tank yet so the testing continues. I have leftover resistors, I could send you one with the terminal you need to do a bypass for a few bucks. It took me less than 10 minutes

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,019 Posts
I did this recently mostly to see if there’s a difference in MPG. Haven’t run through even a single tank yet so the testing continues. I have leftover resistors, I could send you one with the terminal you need to do a bypass for a few bucks. It took me less than 10 minutes
If you're directing that to me, I'd really appreciate it. Please PM me if so.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts