Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After several weeks of my air conditioner intermittently working, I decided to replace the thermo control amplifier. I originally took the X to Tires Plus to diagnose the problem...and of course every time I took it there, the A/C worked perfectly, blowing at 50 degrees usually. They "guessed" it was the thermo control amp, since they checked everything else and everything was working perfectly. They said they could fix that part for approximately $150, but they could not guarantee that this part was actually the problem. They told me to bring it back when the symptoms re-occurred. For weeks I kept stopping in and they were either too busy to look at it or it would work fine when they tested it for trouble. When the temperature inside the X was 80 or above the A/C would take sometimes 20 minutes to kick in. Sometimes it wouldn't kick in at all! When it did kick in it was ICE cold. It didn't matter whether I was stopped or driving, that seemed to have no bearing on this issue.
Folks, it is hot as hell in Florida. I need my A/C on demand...not whenever it feels like working!
I went to Courtesy Nissan's website http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/xterra-wd22-2000-2004-c-532.html
and purchased these two parts:
1 x [27675X] AMPLIFIER-THERMO - Xterra (WD22) 09/1999-07/2001 4-CYL (27675-WD22002) = $31.92
1 x Nissan In-Cabin Microfilters - 2000 to 2004 Frontier / Xterra (B7200-00001) = $27.89
I decided to get the micro filter as well, because I have never changed it...ever...and it is right there. ..Yeah, I know. Bad... Bad Girl!

·
1,924 Posts
Here are the steps to replace both:
Locate the glove box....haha you know, that thing for ahhh gloves??

Open the glove box and take all of the items out.
Locate the six screws holding the glove box in place.
There are two at the bottom of the box, and 4 when the box is open..

Unscrew all of them. The glove box will drop right out.
Observe all of your missing paperwork, including but not limited to your 10 lost insurance cards, old bills, receipts, check stubs and other misc what nots.

·
1,924 Posts
Locate the screws holding the back box together:

There are 3 gold screws on the black box, 3 silver screws, and one silver one up under the glove box...like an inch from the floor next to the kick guard on the right. You have to feel around...good luck getting that one out and put back hehe. I got it, but it was a bitch. Keep the parts safe in your cup holder for later.

·
1,924 Posts
Locate the thermo control amp to the left. It is white with black red and white wires connected to it.

Unplug the thermo control amp. Slide the white part that is left mounted.. upwards to remove it.
Now for the tricky part.....since I worked and worked the hell out of that black box, and I could never really get it completely open, separate the top and bottom part of the black box, use a small flashlight to look inside the box and follow the wires attached to the thermo control amp and reach your hand in there and remove the amp from the evaporator (which is in inside the black box)
I didn't get a picture as I only have 2 hands haha.
Take the new amp, in your hand (the red part) and reach back inside the black box, stick in ridged side of the amp back in the evaporator. Try to place this close to where you removed it from.

It goes in exactly like I show in the picture. The little antenna looking thing points up. Once you have the amp put back in the evaporator, plug the amp back in to the wire harness.

Put the blue set of wires back into that little black wire holder, see the first pic. Now start the X and turn on the A/C to make sure it gets ice cold....before you head to the next steps.

·
1,924 Posts
Clean all of the leaves and junk from around the evaporator if there is any there...mine was pretty bad. Pay close attention to where the in cabin micro filters that you removed were.

Now get the cup holder with all of the screws in it, and replace all of the screws that were in the black box

Don't forget that PITA one by the floor board ...should be 7 in total.
Get someone with small hands to help if you need to for this one.

Get the in cabin micro filters and lock them together..

Place them back into the slot that you took them out of..

Use the black clip to secure it back in place.

·
1,924 Posts

Now get the glove box, and put it back in place...
use 2 screws in the bottom, and 4 total in the top.

Fill out the little sticker that comes with the micro filters with the date and mileage stick it in the glove box.

You are good to go!! Enjoy the cold air year round, anytime, and anywhere on demand. I hope this was helpful for anyone who may need to do this job.
Ladies.... do not be afraid to do this yourself! You can do it!

·
Administrator
11,798 Posts
Nice job! Oh and I cleaned up the place a little bit. :icon_wink:

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
Tina!!! Awesome!!!!

Major rep points for you!

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
Nice work!!! :)

·
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ice ..ice.. Baby

Well my A/C was so damn cold this morning, that I had to turn it off!!
I am pretty sure that this part fixed my problem, but the true test will be later when I leave to go home and it's 98. I will keep you posted.
:eislaufen-big::kalt-big::zunge-festgeklebt-b:frozen-big:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Sweet nice write up , i might have to do this soon im on 43k now

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a new member as of today,6-28-08, and tickled pink to have discovered this site!! you certainly gave an excellent tutorial on that ac job!! I recently purchased my 2006 x and am in love with it. It is the very best vehicle I have ever owned. I am ready to install e3 Diamond fire spark plugs. Looks like it is going to be a pain in the a$$ to install right bank! I hope to get a few more mpg! Does anyone have any suggestions to make installation easier? Again, very nice tutorial on ac!!! Thanks, Beardog

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Beardog, I'd suggest you start a new thread in the appropriate place for your issues this is not really the place to hijack a how to on A/C. That said welcome aboard. Introduce yourself in the new member intro section.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts