Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of 2007 Nissan Xterra SE and I love it down fall is that I just purchased General Grabber AT2 tires for it,went from the stock 265/65/17 and getting 300-320 miles per tank to the 270/65/17 they look mean as hell but I average 270-275 miles per tank, what can I do to gain a little back in what I lost

·
Registered
787 Posts
270/65/17 isn't really that much bigger than stock so I'm confused as to how you lost so much gas mileage.. been driving a little more aggressively being excited about the new tires? Lol

Also, when you get a bigger tire this can throw the odometer off but again that little of a change shouldn't have produced that big of a difference.

As for solutions:
1. Seafoam (now considered a miracle engine cleaner)
2. new muffler
3. replace filter and clean MAF sensor

I'm sure others will have more ideas

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I am a new owner of 2007 Nissan Xterra SE and I love it down fall is that I just purchased General Grabber AT2 tires for it,went from the stock 265/65/17 and getting 300-320 miles per tank to the 270/65/17 they look mean as hell but I average 270-275 miles per tank, what can I do to gain a little back in what I lost
Could you double check those sizes, they sound wrong. (270/65/17)?

The AT2 have higher rolling resistance than say the BFG AT2, being a less well engineered look alike tire, and AT's tend to have higher rolling resistance than less aggressive OEM tires....so:

If its harder to roll the tires, you get worse mpg.

If the speedometer says you are going slower than you really are, you are driving faster than you think/usually drove, which drops mpg (a lot), and, if the odometer says you went fewer miles than you did, that won't change your mpg, but will change your perceived mpg.

A larger tire causes the speedometer to read slow, and the odometer to read short, as above, so, is a common cause for perceived and real mpg drop.

Your over lap of miles per tank indicates that the difference might be ~ 25 miles per tank.

I don't know how many GALLONS each "tank" represents...but, you have to be putting in the same number of GALLONS, but for fewer MILES...to be a drop in mpg that can be compared via only MILES.

The real way to track mpg is to record how many gallons at each fill up, and the mileage.

Corrections for different tires can then be applied to make it more accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts