Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like the look of crystal clear headlights, heres how to get yous looking fresh and new.
your gonna need plastic polish, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit wet/dry sandpaper, a soft cloth, and some time (the more you put in the better the end result) you should be able to get most everything at your local hardware store (except possibly the plastic polish some have it some dont) and or local car shop.

so here is my headlight before notice the "fog" near the top and water spots. (i know its barely any but i like mine clean)

depending on how bad the lens is will determine what grit to start with. the worse shape the lens the lower start grit (lower number equals more course) soak the paper for 10 mins before starting. choose your starting grit. since mine isnt too bad i started with the 2000 grit.

next start wetsanding the lens stroking in the same direction, either left to right or up and down, pick one and stick with it. KEEP THE PAPER WET! you dont need to press hard but instead spend time on it. work with the first paper for 8 to 10 mins until the lens appears uniform.
i worked this one up and down

after you finish the with the first sheet, change the water you are using to keep the paper wet and take your next soaked more fine grit paper, for me was the 2500 next,

and work that the same way you did the first time but in the opposite direction. i.e. if you went up and down with the first sheet go left to right or visa versa with this one. use the same methods keeping the paper wet and sand until uniform. after the first sheet all sheets after should only take 5 or 6 mins.
i went left and right with this one

if you started with a lower grit than i did continue until you get to 2500. after wetsanding clean the headlight with water and dry. it will not appear clear yet. take your soft cloth and put some polish on the corner and rub it in circular motions on the lens,

you will see it become more clear, after working the polish for awhile use the clean side of the cloth to take off any excess polishing compond. it should turn out clear and clean!

give yourself lot of time dont rush it. the more time you spend the better it looks
good luck. its my first write up so go easy on me, but i figured ive gotten so much help here from everyone already i had to give something back.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Xcellent write up.Keep up the good work.

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Great write up!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm gonna have to try that. Just noticed how bad my headlights looked when I was giving my X a bath yesterday. Thanks!

Is that PlastX stuff good for the plastics over the guages?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Nice job man! Great write up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts