Nissan XTerra Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Administrator
8,519 Posts
Not sure on the size ,one hose can be made up from bulk hose but the other is a sharp 90 d bend think you should get the correct one, all so you need 4 new clamps that you can use a socket on not a screw driver.It would be very helpful to have 4 or 5 1/4 drive extensions to tighten the hose clamps from the side .There are 5 more hoses under the intake you should change while you have it off, all are straight hose and be made from bulk hose just need 2 ft of hose and more clamps.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the added info.

During the winter, my X doesn't get much drive time anymore, and that seems to be when it leaks the worst. Got to where I was starting to get some visible smoke when stopped or after parking.

Drove it a few times this week, and it's not smoking anymore, but have about 5 or 6 weeks coming up where I'm going to want to drive it daily if possible, while processing firewood, and want to have the parts on hand in case the smoking starts back up. That way I'll be ready to get things fixed, but honestly, hope I can wait till the middle of July but not willing to risk a fire. We'll take it day by day.

Thanks as always for the advice. Parts are ordered.

pen

·
Registered
55 Posts
tried getting away with bulk hose for all the lines (it's 15/32 in hose, not 3/8) and it just wasn't going to happen for the several you guys mentioned plus http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[14056N]+\(wd22&cPath=532_14_467_471

Just ordered the three tough bends and will finish the job once the parts arrive.

Used the x daily for the last several weeks running kids around and getting firewood done. Pulled about 3k to 3.5k pounds each load, for 21 loads, totaling about 350 miles to get it done, add another 350 miles with the trailer on at 1k pounds empty and the old girl has had a busy summer lately. Well worth keeping her in order.

Getting this thing apart would have been cake had it not been for those two hoses on the rear, as everyone mentioned.

Also, good idea to replace the vac line for the fuel pressure regulator while in here as well. 5/32 felt to me like a good fit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
no, wasn't happy with the bends in the bulk hose, so I stopped and am waiting for the 3 hoses to get to my doorstep from courtesy parts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Job is finished. For my '01, these are the hoses that worked out well for me

1 x [14056NB] HOSE-WATER - Xterra (WD22) 2000-2004 (14056-WD22010) = $16.25

1 x [14056N] HOSE-WATER - Xterra (WD22) 11/2000-03/2001 6-CYL (14056-WD22005) = $3.20
[this hose actually wasn't a direct fit, it came with an extra bend. Once cutting that off, it was perfect]

1 x [14056NC] HOSE-WATER - Xterra (WD22) 2000-2004 (14056-WD22011) = $15.89

Was about 45 bucks for the 3 hoses shipped to the house from courtesy nissan, but for the piece of mind, well worth it. Just couldn't imagine doing this job without replacing hoses this old. Not sure why the one piece was so much cheaper than the other two, but that's what it is. The remaining coolant hoses that were replaced used 15/32 inch bulk hose.

Also, I am very glad I removed the hood, as I had one foot on the tire and a knee up by the wipers for a considerable amount of time. If I were to do it again, I'd take the front wheels off and actually lower the truck as I think that would have made some access to those pain in the rear hoses a bit easier.

Also, I drained the coolant from the bottom of the radiator before doing the job. About a gallon and a 1/2 came out and was replaced.

Additionally I used the Fel-Pro MS 92273 gasket that came with grommets and the Magnum VS25017 MaxDry Valve Cover Gasket Set, both coming from amazon.

Thanks guys,

pen

·
Registered
287 Posts
so, i did the valve cover gaskets on my supercharged version and let me tell you, what a PITA. realistically, the only thing that was a PITA was two coolant lines at the back of the motor that you have to take off to get the intake tube portion of the supercharger off. so, if you are reading this and have an S/C X, be prepared to cuss a lot. passenger side was easy though, so you have that to look forward to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Finally got around to replacing the driver side gasket after doing the passenger side months back. This time, I didn't have any screws strip out on me! Whew.

I also replaced the intake plenum gasket as it was flaking and in rough condition as well as new spark plugs. She's purring like a kitty now and hopefully won't be smoking at stop lights soon! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had mine done last year. I didn't have a spare vehicle at the time or I'd have tried it myself. She ran a little rough going into service but my mechanic cleaned out the air intake a little and it's a bit better. I still get a surge on restarting shortly after turning off the engine so I may take the throttle body apart in the not too distant future and see if I can clean it up some more and make sure there aren't any components failing or in need of replacement. Main reason I replace the valve covers in the first place tho was just a slow leak of oil from the one side. Next is to find out where the oil is slowly leaking from underneath. I've been told it may be the rear main, but it may also be the oil pan gasket. Fingers crossed for the latter. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Old Thread I Know, But, This Thread Gets Plenty Of Attention I'm Sure.

Just a little tip:
When removing the Hex Bolts from the Plenum, Get The engine up to operating temperature for 10 minutes, shut it off, and then break the bolts, It'll help them come off much easier and help to not strip those hex bolts out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I want to thank you for this right up. I already change the passenger side. This write up is giving the courage to change the driver side which I will do. thank you again. Do I need to replace the plenum gasket? you did not mention anything about it I assume no. thank you again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nulla you may be fine reusing it, but it’s cheap and I replaced mine. And after some issues and having to take the plenum off again 2 more times, the new gasket has been torqued to spec 3 times and works fine so there’s a good chance the original will be good as well

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like mhamor said: Gaskets are cheap, just replace to it avoid problems. Also, may people like to replace the philips head screws that hold on the valve covers with less problematic fasteners. I don't recall the sizes off the top of my head but a stainless steel hex head option might work well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
great thanks, I am getting ready to work on mine. yes I will replace the gasket. If someone can tell me the size of the bolt I will replace them also. thx again you all have been very helpful. I am new in the world of Xterra.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts