Nissan XTerra Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im gonna replace my VC gaskets amongst other things soon. Quick question if i should encounter any sludge on the valves, is there a safe way to clean them off? Im not expecting any build up, but want to be proactive. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im gonna replace my VC gaskets amongst other things soon. Quick question if i should encounter any sludge on the valves, is there a safe way to clean them off? Im not expecting any build up, but want to be proactive. Thanks!
Don't be surprised if there is a little sludge especially if it's never been opened up before. I just cleaned off the sludge by spraying some parts cleaner on a rag and scrubbing it off. It did take a little "elbow grease" to get it clean.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok cool. Yeah, I figure there will be some gunk in there, i thought since I have everything torn apart i might as well cleelan it thoroughly. I had seen views of pro and against cleaning the sludge off the valve area, so i just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a thought regarding those two hoses(which I am not going to waste time trying to save). A cheaper replacement would be just get some high temp bulk hose/line from autozone or where ever. I know the OEM hoses are shaped, but rather than the headache for cost and trying to hunt down shaped lines, this has helped me alot with a few replacement lines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2000 with 179k, original owner. Gotta try and tackle this job and same some money instead of paying the dealer rates. I have done the heater core which was just time consuming, but this one looks to be a real pita.

Off to the parts store this morning. Going to hit everything I can see with PB Blaster first.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How much more work in involved in replacing the knock sensor while you have the intake apart? Seems like it would be a good thing to replace while in there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you try looking at the schematics on Courtesy Parts? If it's orderable through Nissan it should have a part number for it. Just know that the part numbers on their site don't seem to exactly match the part numbers at (mine at least) local dealers. I usually print out the schematic and bring it in and the guy looks it up in his own system.

EDIT: Here's a general layout of what you are (probably) looking for. Not sure what two hoses they are specifically talking about however. Someone who has done the job might be able to chime in (dejablue?).

http://www.courtesyparts.com/xterra-parts-wd22-2000-2004/genuine-nissan-parts/exhaust-cooling/211-water-hose-piping/-c-532_14_467_471.html

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDz59ZE7IyE&index=9&list=PLv_Hmtt2swuinbhcN8PhCKzghaOYHz_hT highlights the problem in question. Unfortunately it doesn't mention part numbers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you try looking at the schematics on Courtesy Parts? If it's orderable through Nissan it should have a part number for it. Just know that the part numbers on their site don't seem to exactly match the part numbers at (mine at least) local dealers. I usually print out the schematic and bring it in and the guy looks it up in his own system.

EDIT: Here's a general layout of what you are (probably) looking for. Not sure what two hoses they are specifically talking about however. Someone who has done the job might be able to chime in (dejablue?).

http://www.courtesyparts.com/xterra-parts-wd22-2000-2004/genuine-nissan-parts/exhaust-cooling/211-water-hose-piping/-c-532_14_467_471.html

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDz59ZE7IyE&index=9&list=PLv_Hmtt2swuinbhcN8PhCKzghaOYHz_hT highlights the problem in question. Unfortunately it doesn't mention part numbers.
Hello!

That's my video you are referencing :D

I came to this thread by request on my youtube video. The two hoses I am referring to are 14056ND & 14056NA on the provided schematics for the 2002 VG33E 6 cylinder. They are basically bulk hoses which can be bought at any O'rieleys for very cheap. They aren't anything special. Just refer off of the hose size that you cut off and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for stopping by! Good to know about the bulk hose. I know some people are OCD/purists, but others like to save a bit of coin when they can. :)

Thanks again for a great set of videos. How's the Xterra since you rebuilt?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for stopping by! Good to know about the bulk hose. I know some people are OCD/purists, but others like to save a bit of coin when they can. :)

Thanks again for a great set of videos. How's the Xterra since you rebuilt?
Doing great other than a slight coolant leak, which actually might be from the hose that was such a bitch. I might not have gotten the clamp down all the way to ensure a full seal. Its a very slow, drip leak and I keep a eye on my fluids constantly. I don't want to tackle it right now, but I might fix it later. I do keep a gallon of coolant in my truck at all times.

Other than that, the X has been running great. 5k miles so far. I do have either a parasitic electrical problem from the stereo deck I installed, or the guy I got the X from got a shit battery. I gotta charge it once a week or so if I don't drive it. I do plan on going dual batteries so I should be good once I get that installed.

I also have to do my lower o2 sensors which shouldn't be too hard. I did the rear main seal, which was a HUGE pain in the ass. I do NOT recommend anyone to do it, but I did it. I should have installed the lower o2 sensors when I was down there.

Other than those things, its been great. I do plan on doing the brakes, installing some projector headlights, and some other stuff to the X. I'll film and upload as much as possible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you reuse the factory clamps or replace with screw down style? Thinking you might have wiggle room to get back there and snug em down but if you plan to do the knock sensor (thought you did that already?) you can redo it then I guess.

Worst part about the O2 sensors on the X are we have 4 of them so they get expensive really quickly. :(

Looking forward to more videos. ETCG would be proud. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you reuse the factory clamps or replace with screw down style? Thinking you might have wiggle room to get back there and snug em down but if you plan to do the knock sensor (thought you did that already?) you can redo it then I guess.

Worst part about the O2 sensors on the X are we have 4 of them so they get expensive really quickly. :(

Looking forward to more videos. ETCG would be proud. :)
I replaced the factory clamps with the screw down type. I can probably jimmy my way down there with extensions to tighten them probably.

I did do the knock sensor and relocated it to the upper intake manifold.

Yeah, I didn't know we had 4 at first and just ordered the upper 2. Did those no problem, but then soon found out that I was still throwing codes. Gonna do the bottom 2 sooner than later. I have them in hand, just gotta find the time.

No problem :) I'll let everyone know when I got more videos up :) Glad you like them.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I have looked at the schematics on nissan parts zone and in my tech manual. Short of pulling the hoses or cutting them I have had no joy in identify them, wanted to have the hoses ordered and waiting for me to do work instead of having vehicle down additional time while waiting for them to be ordered.thanks for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello!

That's my video you are referencing :D

I came to this thread by request on my youtube video. The two hoses I am referring to are 14056ND & 14056NA on the provided schematics for the 2002 VG33E 6 cylinder. They are basically bulk hoses which can be bought at any O'rieleys for very cheap. They aren't anything special. Just refer off of the hose size that you cut off and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps!
thanks also!!! big help with the bulk hose stuff

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, for what Nissan wants for those hoses, bulk hose would work just fine. They're straight runs, just need to make sure you get the right diameter as all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just did this yesterday. I did it about 4 years ago keeping the spring clamps on the coolant lines in the back. This time, I replaced the spring clamps with screw clamps and used a 1/4 socket with extensions to tighten them and it was super easy. Took me no more than 3 hours this time and I was taking my sweet time. I also used a little vaseline on the hard lines so they slid into the coolant hoses easily.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What diameter bulk hose is needed for the cut lines in the back? 3/8?

Getting ready to order the parts and get this taken care of.

Thanks for the write-up.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts