Nissan XTerra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Probably not in an hour eh! Ill probably just order one incase I need it and return it if I don't
you will need fel pro VS50251R1 and MS92273 at a minimum. there is no getting at the driver side without at least loosening the upper intake plenum.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just changed mine and they are still leaking in some places the bolts are down as far as they should go except one but its not leaking at that one. I think those tabs that you bend to hold the gasket in place might have effected its sealing ability. I'm gonna take the passenger off and try again hopefully that's the only problem. Here is the only leak I could visibly see ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1369243286.479800.jpg you can see the discoloration on the shiny metal on the lower valve cover

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
My recommendation for anyone else trying to do this install is to go ahead and purchase replacement hoses and just cut them. You'll save yourself a but load of grief.
I am getting ready to change these gaskets as we were smelling burning oil all winter. Does anyone know the part # for the hoses that everyone is suggesting be changed as well?

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post on here!

I just bought an '02 with 145,000km on it (I'm in Canada).

This morning was the first time I smelled burning oil (I haven't confirmed that is what I smelled, could have been the car beside me). I was really upset at first, but this write up will help a LOT. I've never changed gaskets, but this doesn't look that bad. I've done a lot of other work on my cars over the years so I think I'm ready to take the plunge if in fact my gaskets are leaking.

I will echo the request for the part number for the PIA hoses. From other types of jobs I have done over the years, I know the hoses will be a bitch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I finished this project today. A few notes.

First, I stripped the head of two plenum hex bolts. I was afraid I was going to have to drill them, but found a much simpler solution on the web. Get a 12mm, 12 point socket and hammer it onto the bolt head, and remove the bolt. It works way better than I expected. I only hammered a few times, and the bolts came out easily.

Secondly, I simply can not imagine trying to do this without having replacement hoses on hand for the PITA hoses. I had both of the replacement hoses, and let me tell you, it still sucked. I cut the old hoses. It still took me 30 minutes just to remove the remaining hose pieces from behind the block. What a pain. I'm not sure how it's even possible to do without replacing the hoses.

Third, I wish I would have drained the coolant before I began. When I cut one of the hoses, coolant started running out. I lost a better part of a gallon. Bring on the ferrel cats (ha ha, j/k).

I split the project over two days - passenger side first, then driver side. I have about 8 hours wrapped up in the project. Keep in mind that I work on computers all day, but I'm not beyond wrenching on things either. I took a lot more time than expected!

Anywho, thanks a million for the write up! I never would have tried this without help from this site!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh yeah, my x has 125k on her, and the gaskets were original (I suspect, anyhow). The passenger side gasket was still pliable. The drive side was stiff and crusty. Go figure!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just changed mine and they are still leaking in some places the bolts are down as far as they should go except one but its not leaking at that one. I think those tabs that you bend to hold the gasket in place might have effected its sealing ability. I'm gonna take the passenger off and try again hopefully that's the only problem. Here is the only leak I could visibly see View attachment 13465 you can see the discoloration on the shiny metal on the lower valve cover

Cameron, I've got a leak that looks identical to the one you put up on XterraNation (below). Did you ever figure out what it was? It's worrying and I'd like to know where it's coming from. Changing valve cover gaskets this weekend.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Update: Mission failed, although I found a healthy sized gap in coverage on my passenger side (which has now been replaced). I forgot to account for the EGR tube. Nearly lost an upper intake bolt to the depths of the motor twice, and I'm pretty sure one of my bolts started my ownership cross threaded. I'm stuck and don't know what to do. Considering some options.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's rough. time for greasy rags and a vacuum. Run a tap in it to clean it up, and use some JB weld if it is bad.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Poor thing's been neglected for too long. I'm going to go at it again after I have a chance to track down all new rubber for it. That's the only way I'll get anything done.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I finished this project today. A few notes.

First, I stripped the head of two plenum hex bolts. I was afraid I was going to have to drill them, but found a much simpler solution on the web. Get a 12mm, 12 point socket and hammer it onto the bolt head, and remove the bolt. It works way better than I expected. I only hammered a few times, and the bolts came out easily!
Brilliant!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anyone have some Courtesy Nissan parts numbers for those two lines in the back? Because mine are about to be cut. They're pretty well stuck in place.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Good write up. So far I'm half way. Lost one cover screw and tore one hose end. Neither of which Advance or Auto Zone had. I have to improvise get it drivable. Also, I have to cut my own plenum gasket.
I decided to replace my plugs at this time. They really needed to be replaced a long time ago. One was completely missing its electrode. Can't wait to feel the difference running on all 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the rubber becomes pretty solid as it ages, it becomes pretty much a bakalite consistancy over time. If it seems like a 2 part washer it is the original.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There is a metal cap on the rubber. The gasket does all the work, but use the best ones on the bottom anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, the job is done and I'll put in my 2 cents. The initial write up is very good and gave me a lot of useful information. Since mine is a 2000 model year, it has the EGR pipe to contend with. I found that by taking the bolts out of the throttle body and rotating it forward, that gave more than enough room to swing a wrench. Everything thing else is pretty straight forward. The two hoses in the back were cut and replaced, I didn't bother trying to loosen them. I'll include pictures of the bolts and washers at a later time. The ones I have didn't correspond to the grommets included in the kit, at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going to replace the drivers side valve cover gasket this weekend on a 2000. All the comments in this thread have been very helpful but I have one question:
Do I need to drain the Coolant before I start? I plan on cutting the coolant lines and replace them instead of trying to take them off. My 2000 has 166000 miles on it and I am certain that they are ready to be replaced.

I am also planning on replacing the plugs. Any other things I should look at doing while I have the intake off?

61 - 80 of 119 Posts