Nissan XTerra Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
642 Posts
Get a catch pan and go at it. Don't remove your cap and it'll come streaming out.

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I found this video on youtube. I found it to be really helpfull. This break down of the filter change is really helpfull also.
Thanks for posting! Rep points for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did this this afternoon via the DIY instructions and the tips from the video posted. Took me about 20-25 minutes start to finish including clean-up. Old filter was original with 300,000 KM (NOT MILES).

There was some serious black tar coming out of it when I blew through it. GROSS! I ran around the block with the new one and she feels amazing. Way more responsive

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did this this afternoon via the DIY instructions and the tips from the video posted. Took me about 20-25 minutes start to finish including clean-up. Old filter was original with 300,000 KM (NOT MILES).

There was some serious black tar coming out of it when I blew through it. GROSS! I ran around the block with the new one and she feels amazing. Way more responsive
I did mine this afternoon too! The original was on 132,000 KM. It had some pretty dark coloured gas pouring out of it.

I have definitely noticed a difference with the new filter! The RPM's are slightly lower than before with literally the same performance. The vehicle shifts a lot more comfortably now, as it used to jerk a little it between 1st to 2nd gear (auto transmission).

I also imagine this will result in better fuel efficiency. Best $18 I've spent on the Xterra so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great thread. Using needle nose vice grips as a hose clamp and removing the gas cap were good tips. I had minimal gas leakage. Supply hose is on passenger side of filter. That's the one to clamp. Took me 45 minutes because I'm a little anal about wiping everything down as I go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
USE THE FUEL LINE CLAMPS! If you don't have them, get them! I pulled fuse and released pressure from tank. But my lines would not come off and not a lot of room down there. I had to cut the lines at the nipples and hurrily put both ends back on because there will still be FUEL. Use the clamps.

·
Registered
392 Posts
OP are you asking how to remove the filter or how to drain your tank? Or both?

Simply removing the filter will not empty your tank. A little bit will come out but just whatever is in the line.

If your goal is to drain the tank then take off the bash guard and use the drain plug. If you can't get to that for whatever reason, opening the filter and running the pump with the line over a bucket would probably do the trick but sounds pretty messy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's part of the fuel pump/fuel sending unit on your truck. My suggestion for you is run only name brand fuels, never let it get below 1/4 tank, and throw a good can of fuel system cleaner in at every oil change.

To change the filter you would have to drop the tank and pull out the pump/sending unit. Not something you wanna do! :)
You don't need to drop the tank to replace the fuel filter - it's right in front of the tank behind a metal plate. This is about 2000-2004 xterras, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there a place where you can purchase that ring that is around the fuel filter? With the threads for the bolt?

Mine is rusted out, I was hoping to find one so I can replace it?
You can't buy these anywhere new, unfortunately, I've tried over 40 shops and online sites - no one sells them! You'll have to rig something up

61 - 71 of 71 Posts