Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting a Xterra and I have a few questions. I'll start by saying that I'm looking to buy a off road suv on a budget. I do not plan on doing any thing crazy with it just some trails here and there, and going to the Sand dunes. I can not decide between a Xterra or a 4runner I'm looking at 2002 to 2006. The one thing I really like about the X is the price and I like the look better then the 4runner too. The one issue I have Is that I'm not sure how reliable the Xterra is? I see Bad reviews on them and it kind of makes me worried. Would I be able to tow a 4000lb trailer? Is there a big aftermarket for offroad parts?

·
Registered
444 Posts
2005-2007 or 8 had tranny problems, if you go 1st gen, like I did, get one that has been maintained with records, other than that, I know mine is going to go 300k. I have owned 3 nissan products and have loved every one, gotten over 200k on them, and rarely had to do anything other than routine maintenance

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought mine a 2001 with almost 100K on the clock about a year ago. I got lucky and purchased a very well maintained one, being the 3rd owner. I have NOT had a single major issues aside from having to fix my distributor which is normal for its age and miles. One other thing I had to fix was my passenger window regulator as the cable got tangled up and bunched up which made the window not work, again, being 15 years old and original part its expected.

I came to this site before I bought mine as well and loved what I read. Most of the fixes on the 1st generation one seem pretty easy and straight forward. I have loved mine every single day since I have bought it and do not regret it at all. The only issue I can come up with is how thirsty it is, but then again, this was not a surprise for me as it is covered on this site over and over, so I knew what I was getting into. This is the first SUV I have owned and I love it. Compared to what was in my price range this was an easy choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm on my second X. First up through 150k miles, current at 175k miles... and both have been very reliable.

Both had leaking PS reservoir-to-pump hoses, and leaking A/C lines (the one that runs up drivers side and across firewall)... but easy enough fixes.

Other than regular maintenance, both my X's never let me down, ran well and were dependable.

Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
2008 with 90k. Going to do timing belt, water pump while there, replace tensioners and pulleys. $800 parts and labor. Had 60k on it over 2 yrs no problems. Just regular maintenance and changing fluids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my first X about a year ago for some of the same reasons as you. Camping, rough dirt roads, trails, beaches, towing my boat or camping trailer. I love it so much that I've made it my daily driver. It's a tough little rig that runs great. Basic maintenance is all that's needed. Things are easy to work on if needed. I just turned 190k and still running very strong. Also really fun when I get it out into the dirt, sand, and snow... I might be a little bias, but I think my X is one of the better looking ones out there...(see my "Garage" pics)
Mine is a first gen Xterra so that's what I recommend. Go get yourself a Xterra. You won't be disappointed...
Thomas253

·
Registered
444 Posts
2008 with 90k. Going to do timing belt, water pump while there, replace tensioners and pulleys. $800 parts and labor. Had 60k on it over 2 yrs no problems. Just regular maintenance and changing fluids.
Timing chain, not belt...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.