Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouring the internet and I couldn't find my exact answer 2003 Xterra throwing a code on catalytic converter. Details and/or pictures will be appreciated.

1. How many Catalytic converters are there on an '03 XTERRA

2. Which bank is which catalytic converter? (Mine is showing an error on Bank 2)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
384 Posts
there are four cats on an xterra, 2 on the drivers side and 2 on the passengers side. bank two is on the passengers side. However there are two on the passenger side. Either the one at the top or the other under the truck. Sensor 1 trouble code is the one at the top which is a pain in the ass and the other under the truck is sensor 2 which is far easier. What exactly is the issue? Cats don't really go bad and just cause you get a cat code doesn't mean its a cat. It could be the oxygen sensor going bad or an exhaust leak somewhere. what is the mileage as well?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just something for you to try... I had a cat code for a couple of years and just ignored it but then i got some good gas one time before i switched my battery and the code went away. Now i only fill up with shell or valero detergent gas (ethanol free). You might get some of that, clear the code with a code reader, and see if it comes back.
Sometimes, if i have to, I'll get regular gas and the code comes back so it's not really fixing anything... I think my cats are just really picky.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Just something for you to try... I had a cat code for a couple of years and just ignored it but then i got some good gas one time before i switched my battery and the code went away. Now i only fill up with shell or valero detergent gas (ethanol free). You might get some of that, clear the code with a code reader, and see if it comes back.
Sometimes, if i have to, I'll get regular gas and the code comes back so it's not really fixing anything... I think my cats are just really picky.
There plugged up

·
Registered
255 Posts
Probably... But no code so I'm happy.
Its they are plugged its going to come back and bite you later on. As in, the car will stall out due to exhaust restriction and make everything super hot underneath.

Plugged cat is usually a sign of some other engine problem as well. Cats should last forever unless they are exposed to lots of fuel, coolant, oil, or other things that normally shouldn't be in the exhaust stream.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Maybe, but it drives like it did the day I bought it (the code was on already) almost 5 years ago. If it was too clogged, I'm sure the code would come back. I saw that xterras throw the cat codes when cat is operating at 95% or less (or if there is an exhaust leak, etc). I'm probably hovering around that 95% but until the code comes back, I doubt there's much to worry about. Didn't mean to hijack this thread though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts