Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is considered "working as intended", so I thought I would get a few examples from other 1st Gen automatic transmission owners.

The transmission will downshift no problem when the throttle is increased by as little as 25% or so. However, when cruising at around 35-40mph, if I floor it the transmission will downshift and the engine will shoot to about 4000 RPM and sort of just hang there while the speed increases by around 5-7mph over the course of about 5 seconds(dreadfully slow). I've never really waited for it to shift on its own because the engine starts to sound like an asthmatic child gasping for air, so I end up reducing throttle to get it to shift. It will literally accelerate faster if I only apply about 3/4 throttle.

I've read a few posts that said the automatic is somewhat "lazy" in terms of shifting, but does this sound right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know if this is considered "working as intended", so I thought I would get a few examples from other 1st Gen automatic transmission owners.

The transmission will downshift no problem when the throttle is increased by as little as 25% or so. However, when cruising at around 35-40mph, if I floor it the transmission will downshift and the engine will shoot to about 4000 RPM and sort of just hang there while the speed increases by around 5-7mph over the course of about 5 seconds(dreadfully slow). I've never really waited for it to shift on its own because the engine starts to sound like an asthmatic child gasping for air, so I end up reducing throttle to get it to shift. It will literally accelerate faster if I only apply about 3/4 throttle.

I've read a few posts that said the automatic is somewhat "lazy" in terms of shifting, but does this sound right?

Thanks!
Mine gets a little confused on the 3->2 downshift. If I'm going slow enough it revs up and acts like its going to go into first than decides on 2nd. Doesn't do it at higher speed though.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Mine does the same exact thing. I was thinking it was the fluid and filter needed changed but i did the fluid but no filter and it still does it. Im assuming its just a flaw. Like most of the time mine does it is when i slow down at a light and turn when i accelerate itl kinda rev up than drop into 2nd and accelerate fine. 185k miles and she just started needing attention on a few things like my back drum brakes and a few other odds and ends but it aint left me hanging. Though it did leave me with a broken seat belt and no back brakes at nearly the same time. when you try to stop and the pedal goes unexpectedely half way to the floor you learn to fix things before they brake lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine does the same exact thing. I was thinking it was the fluid and filter needed changed but i did the fluid but no filter and it still does it. Im assuming its just a flaw. Like most of the time mine does it is when i slow down at a light and turn when i accelerate itl kinda rev up than drop into 2nd and accelerate fine. 185k miles and she just started needing attention on a few things like my back drum brakes and a few other odds and ends but it aint left me hanging. Though it did leave me with a broken seat belt and no back brakes at nearly the same time. when you try to stop and the pedal goes unexpectedely half way to the floor you learn to fix things before they brake lol.
I agree. It's kind of annoying. I step the throttle down and the engine says "LET'S GO!" and the transmission says "Well hold on...I'm a transmission correct? Okay, well that's out of the way...Let me check the manual and put on a pot of coffee...Ahh yes, here it is, I believe I should shift."

That's scary about the brakes. I had a Suzuki Sidekick that would randomly decide to leak all of its brake fluid from the reservoir in mid traffic. Takes some quick thinking to grab the lowest gear and yank the E-brake when the pedal sinks to the floor.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mind kind of thinks for a second when I just slow for a right hand turn and then decide to accelerate with anything less than 3/4 throttle, it seems to overthink, but my 94 pathy was very similar in that aspect, so I'm not worried

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts