Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know what yeAr the engine in your Xterra is? I found out the engine in my 07 X is not the same engine that came with the truck...I checked for any markings that might be on the engine but found none..it has the camshaft sensor on the passengers side instead of the drivers side if that helps.

·
Registered
918 Posts
What makes you think that it's not the same engine? Assuming that it is at least the same model (a 4.0L v6) you will have two cam position sensors. One of each bank (Left/Passenger side and Right/Drivers side). All 2005 through 2015 have the same engine, which is a 4.0L v6. If you look up Xterra Cam position sensor on YouTube you will find a bunch of videos. Typically they only show either the replacement of the left or the right sensor, but not both. They will Often list either code p0345 (for a bad right/Driver/Bank2 sensor) or p0340 (for a bad Left/Passenger/Bank1 sensor) in the description.

This video shows the locations of both sensors.

You can post a pic of you engine if you like and our members can verify for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What makes you think that it's not the same engine? Assuming that it is at least the same model (a 4.0L v6) you will have two cam position sensors. One of each bank (Left/Passenger side and Right/Drivers side). All 2005 through 2015 have the same engine, which is a 4.0L v6. If you look up Xterra Cam position sensor on YouTube you will find a bunch of videos. Typically they only show either the replacement of the left or the right sensor, but not both. They will Often list either code p0345 (for a bad right/Driver/Bank2 sensor) or p0340 (for a bad Left/Passenger/Bank1 sensor) in the description.
This video shows the locations of both sensors.

You can post a pic of you engine if you like and our members can verify for you.
Oh..,my mechanic friend of mine said it was a different engine..and I think you’re right about the camshaft sensor on both sides..I changed the bank 1 sensor about a month ago , and the VDC and slip lights went off but the check engine Light stayed on.. but on hot days right after I start the X up it stalls to the point of cutting out. Maybe the bank 2 needs to be changed or the crankshaft sensor? Idk what do you think?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh..,my mechanic friend of mine said it was a different engine..and I think you’re right about the camshaft sensor on both sides..I changed the bank 1 sensor about a month ago , and the VDC and slip lights went off but the check engine Light stayed on.. but on hot days right after I start the X up it stalls to the point of cutting out. Maybe the bank 2 needs to be changed or the crankshaft sensor? Idk what do you think?
I tried to post a pic of my engine but the download crapped out lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
They’re all the same bones. I believe they use different ecu tuning because air fuel sensors changed but the only other thing I can think of it updated chains and guides in the newer ones

1 - 5 of 5 Posts