Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Nissan Xterra with 183,000 miles on it. The last code I got on the car was a P0734 (Gear 4 incorrect ratio). I drove it for a long time and the only issue I had was that every once and a while at any kind of stop my car would rev when I would try to drive again. The way I fixed it was by putting the car in park, turning it off and back on. That worked for a long time. Then a fuse that connected my ignition started to blow every now and then. I’d replace it and the car worked for bit. Until I put a 15 amp fuse in a 10 amp slot because that’s all I had to get home and the car started but all my dash lights came on. Non of my exterior lights worked nor the AC. And all my dash gauges stayed at zero while I drove. Once I turned the car off at home it hasn’t started since and all the dash lights still turn on but the car won’t crank or start.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
181 Posts
This is only speculation since I have never encountered this specific problem before, but when you mentioned that the fuse for your ignition switch blew out, that suggests a short circuit somewhere.
When you put a 15 amp fuse in place of the 10 amp that probably caused more damage due to excessive current being allowed to flow in the shorted circuits.
You may have damaged that part of the wiring harness which would explain it not cranking.
Hopefully all you did was burn out a connection, but you may have to take it into a professional mechanic because short circuits can be hard to track down.

On the matter of the P0734 error that can be caused by Low transmission fluid level, Dirty transmission fluid, Shift solenoids, Transmission mechanical problems, or the Transmission hydraulic control circuit.
If the transmission control circuit was shorting out that might have also blown the fuse, but that is a guess because I don't know if that circuit is part of the ignition switching system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not sure if this helps any but the fuse that kept blowing was number 49 in my engine fuse box and supposedly it Controles the Automatic Transmission Assembly, Clutch Interlock Switch, Interlock Cancel Switch, Clutch Interlock Cancel Relay 2.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
181 Posts
I’m not sure if this helps any but the fuse that kept blowing was number 49 in my engine fuse box and supposedly it Controles the Automatic Transmission Assembly, Clutch Interlock Switch, Interlock Cancel Switch, Clutch Interlock Cancel Relay 2.
According to that error code you were getting prior to the blown fuse one of the possible problems is the transmission hydraulic control circuit. If that circuit is interconnected with that fuse that kept blowing then that might have been the reason for the blown fuse. And since that fuse also connected other systems more damage could have resulted when you put in a 15 amp fuse.
Have you smelled any burning plastic odors? If so then some wire connections probably got burned from the overload.
I'm not certain about Nissans, but I do know that most other automotive brands use fusible links in the wiring as a backup to protect the wiring harness from going up in flames if the primary fuse is bypassed.
If the Xterra wiring harness has these fusible links then one or more of those might have blown when you put that 15 amp fuse in place of the original 10 amp.
And if the fusible links have blown those are hard to find because they're built into the harness itself.
Not knowing the extent of the damage caused by the oversized fuse you may have to take it to a Nissan mechanic.

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
1,849 Posts
Please check your coolant bottle and radiator for presence of ATF. Water gets into these transmissions through a defect in the radiator. The transmission control module is located inside the transmission case and water can have a very negative effect. I’ve seen shorted TCMs cause no start issues as well as CAN communication issues. It’s an easy check and if it fails, you have an idea of what needs to happen first

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
181 Posts
Please check your coolant bottle and radiator for presence of ATF. Water gets into these transmissions through a defect in the radiator. The transmission control module is located inside the transmission case and water can have a very negative effect. I’ve seen shorted TCMs cause no start issues as well as CAN communication issues. It’s an easy check and if it fails, you have an idea of what needs to happen first
I had heard of a defect in the radiator. Was there ever a recall on that?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,733 Posts
I had heard of a defect in the radiator. Was there ever a recall on that?
2005-2009 were affected. If the radiator is a stock Nissan part, you can get the part number from it and call a dealer or share it here. There should be folks here who can tell you if it needs to be replaced based on that info.

Nissan covered the transmission for 10 years/100,ooo miles, but after 8 years/80,ooo miles, a deductible or co-pay was added.

(2) 2009 Xterra - Radiator replacement as a preventive measure | Nissan XTerra Forum (clubxterra.org)

Radiator Recall

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
1,849 Posts
Was it only those years affected? I can never remember. I did plenty under warranty but never paid too much attention. On a side note, I’ve also seen this happen on other models other than these affected by the SMOD defect. When I suspect cross contamination, the antifreeze condition is usually the dead giveaway. When you remove the cap on the radiator, the rubber gasket will usually be all warbly

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Was it only those years affected? I can never remember. I did plenty under warranty but never paid too much attention. On a side note, I’ve also seen this happen on other models other than these affected by the SMOD defect. When I suspect cross contamination, the antifreeze condition is usually the dead giveaway. When you remove the cap on the radiator, the rubber gasket will usually be all warbly
Some of the internet sources I found were kinda iffy. A couple said only the 2005 were affected, some said 2005-2009, one said 2005-2010. What I've seen here on CX has been consistently 2005-2009, so that's what I'm saying like a parrot.

You're in a position to know more.

Also, like you say, it affected not just the Xterra, but also Frontier and Pathfinder.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
181 Posts
2005-2009 were affected. If the radiator is a stock Nissan part, you can get the part number from it and call a dealer or share it here. There should be folks here who can tell you if it needs to be replaced based on that info.

Nissan covered the transmission for 10 years/100,ooo miles, but after 8 years/80,ooo miles, a deductible or co-pay was added.

(2) 2009 Xterra - Radiator replacement as a preventive measure | Nissan XTerra Forum (clubxterra.org)

Radiator Recall

If it was only the 2005 to 2009s affected then mine should be okay since it's a 2004.
However, if there is a problem I have that CarShield. The plan I have with them covers all of the engine and drivetrain plus the entire cooling system.
So far I have had to only make one claim with them for the air conditioner.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If it was only the 2005 to 2009s affected then mine should be okay since it's a 2004.
However, if there is a problem I have that CarShield. The plan I have with them covers all of the engine and drivetrain plus the entire cooling system.
So far I have had to only make one claim with them for the air conditioner.
Mine is a 2004 as well. Just yesterday was the first time I've driven it in over a month, after having started the process of changing the timing belt and attending to a number of other updates and modifications at the same time.

One of those was to replace the stock radiator for my non-SC engine with one for the SC engine.

Another was to completely bypass the radiator's transmission cooler, which I did by using clamps to keep the supplied connections in place and then add a fan-cooled external cooler with a thermostatic valve and 180° temperature sensor wired to a switch that has positions for Sensor-Off-On and a relay that supplies power based on my selection.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
181 Posts
Mine is a 2004 as well. Just yesterday was the first time I've driven it in over a month, after having started the process of changing the timing belt and attending to a number of other updates and modifications at the same time.

One of those was to replace the stock radiator for my non-SC engine with one for the SC engine.

Another was to completely bypass the radiator's transmission cooler, which I did by using clamps to keep the supplied connections in place and then add a fan-cooled external cooler with a thermostatic valve and 180° temperature sensor wired to a switch that has positions for Sensor-Off-On and a relay that supplies power based on my selection.
When I traded my truck for my Xterra I did notice that the engine looked unusually clean, and the radiator looked practically new. The hoses were definitely brand new because they still had their manufacturers labels on them.
The service record does show that the timing belt had been changed back when it had about 98,000 on it.
The dealer I got it from probably did that because when I got it the engine had exactly 100,008 miles on it.
My guess is that the dealer did not want to take the chance of the timing belt breaking right after he sold it so he had it changed as a precaution, which makes sense since Arizona Lemon Laws require all licensed dealers to guarantee used vehicles for at least 15 days.
The only exceptions are used vehicles bought at auctions.

I am also guessing that the dealer had it tuned up because the spark plug wires and distributor cap looked brand new.

Another clue that mine had been serviced is that it is idling very smooth, and of course the MPG is well above the EPA rating.
Even with my hyper-miling techniques, a K&N filter, and octane booster, it would not be performing very well with over 100,000 unless it had been tuned up prior to my getting it.

That is one of the reasons I don't buy from private sellers anymore. You never know what you're getting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts