Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to know how to bypass the knock sensor to shut down the engine light to pass cali smog this year... please help me with a diy thread or some pix and a good walk through... thanks so much
Noob Mike

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
True Dat

Did you run the codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
idle air control and knock sensor
the IAC needs to get checked but i want to bypass the KS because it causes ur PCM to change the engine settings. i need to replace the passenger side manifold and throw dual exhaust past the emissions to open it up and have it running clean.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The IAC connector is right under the intake runners, between that and the firewall. You could at least check and see if you can tell if it's loose or wires messed up.

What's the code #?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think u can bypass it? If you try to take it out of the loop the ECU will read it as a failure I think. The other problem is, you live in a state with the strictist emissions laws in the country.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The IAC code is mostly electrical issues. If you get the factory service manual, it's in the EC section page 435. I'd consider taking it to a nissan tech/dealer for an estimate.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Bypassing the sensor is nothing more than a resistor that is placed inline before the sensor. I did mine years age, as well as a lot of other people. It is an easy 15 minute fix that you can do from the top of the motor without having to do anything else.

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/index.php?topic=1810.0

·
Registered
5,824 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to jump in here, but I recently did the resistor mod for my na 3.3 and the ks code will not go away. I cleared codes with my scanner and took off the neg. battery cable as well. The way I did the mod, I just cut into the business end of the connecter and did not take out the white locking tab inside the connector, this is maybe why my codes are staying???

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just picked up a 2002 xterra supercharged with 168K as a second car for the mountains. I have done a lot of work to the car just fixing the normal issues and changing all the fluids. I finally took the truck to Autozone to have the codes read and I have the knock sensor code. I cleared the code and then stared the truck for a minute and the code cane right back.

I have reviewed the bypass and relocate threads but they all see to be for the na motor, are there any changes I need to be aware of when doing the bypass with the supercharged version.
Are the wires the same and the same color?
Should I do the relocate or the resister bypass?

Also in looking at Amazon are these the correct parts?

www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZR4N0K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1UG50XF9WQDKQ&coliid=I1NV3F5MB3PVEU

Thanks,
Robert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts