Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m new to this community. Just wanted to see how everybody’s ownership has been with an Xterra. How long have you owned one and what have you done to it?

To start off and talk about mine, I have a 2004 xe model. With the 3.3 NA engine. I bought it last year and so far I’ve installed a light bar on the front plastic cover for the roof rack and led lights front and back. Also had some A/T cooper tires put on, size being 265/75 16. Maintenance and repair wise I’ve already gone through two starters due to leaking valve cover gaskets (got those fixed too). Also had timing belt, serpentine belts, and water pump replaced. Last winter i broke a lower control arm due to rust and went ahead and replaced both upper and lower control arms, along with bushings and bolts. And the last thing I’ve done to it is new shocks all around. Currently sitting at 144,000 miles and still going strong. Taken it out of state multiple times and it’s never let me down

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
had a 2000 3.3 it was beat up when i got it for under $2k with over 175k miles it ran good but looked bad and needed some other work like suspension and the like but it was an ok truck for cheap, my 2011 has been excellent though bought it at 95k miles almost 3 years ago it has almost 150k on it now, no major issues outside me wrecking it 2x lol (both were due to medical issues that have since been resolved) been one of the most reliable vehicles i have ever owned that and the 98 pathy i had was super reliable too

·
Registered
13 Posts
2001 Nissan Xterra with 348,000 miles! Still rides great. Received through my divorce 4 years ago. Just put in shop for tune up and rear main seal repair. This truck has been awesome to me. My only source of transportation right now. When I purchase another vehicle I’m still gonna keep my Xterra!!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
2001 Nissan Xterra with 348,000 miles! Still rides great. Received through my divorce 4 years ago. Just put in shop for tune up and rear main seal repair. This truck has been awesome to me. My only source of transportation right now. When I purchase another vehicle I’m still gonna keep my Xterra!!
See i plan on the same with my 2011 once its paid off (only owe a few grand on it) keep er for hauling and back up transportation etc once it gets a ton of miles on it anyhow. Its been super reliable and fun to work on well except this nasty burn i got from a metal coolant line i got yesterday while changing my pcv valve. Thought i had more room lol and thought it was an a/c line found out the hard way it is a coolant line looks like a heater bypass line, shoulda wore gloves or waited til engined cooled. Oh well ill live. Kinda glad Nissan made those metal and not rubber hoses though less rubber hoses to have to change.
IMG_20191024_083219.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks! It’s riding great! My “service engine soon” light which has been on for months had gone off after my repairs but just came back on. Why?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Thanks! It’s riding great! My “service engine soon” light which has been on for months had gone off after my repairs but just came back on. Why?
Without knowing codes or repair done cant tell ya

·
Registered
13 Posts
See i plan on the same with my 2011 once its paid off (only owe a few grand on it) keep er for hauling and back up transportation etc once it gets a ton of miles on it anyhow. Its been super reliable and fun to work on well except this nasty burn i got from a metal coolant line i got yesterday while changing my pcv valve. Thought i had more room lol and thought it was an a/c line found out the hard way it is a coolant line looks like a heater bypass line, shoulda wore gloves or waited til engined cooled. Oh well ill live. Kinda glad Nissan made those metal and not rubber hoses though less rubber hoses to have to change. View attachment 67818

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Yikes! Be careful next time! Yes, gloves are a good idea.
eh, whats a little burnt skin lol. i went to a local shop that knows me well as i couldnt find my 23mm depwell and had no good pliers that would grab the rear hose clamp, was wearing gloves at the house but didnt think to bring them up when i went to the shop, they let me borrow a 23mm deep and a pair of pliers in their parking lot, cool group of guys, oh well the pliers they had worked and wont need em now, put screw on clamps in place of the pinch type and put the one at the back where i can get it with no need to reach back and near that coolant line again, just a medium length flat head or a 6mm socket with a 6" or so extension will get it off next time, thats what burned me getting the freaking rear clamp off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I recently replaced a cat and had it pass emissions but right after threw another code for yet another one. Guess I’ll be fixing that as well for next years test! I’ve heard that cats on these tend to go bad unfortunately

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I recently replaced a cat and had it pass emissions but right after threw another code for yet another one. Guess I’ll be fixing that as well for next years test! I’ve heard that cats on these tend to go bad unfortunately
Could be bad o2 sensors killing the cats

·
Registered
13 Posts
have the codes read, but also what work did you do?
What a day!!! Had mediation with my ex, who lies all the time. It was draining! Afterwards I went back to the shop to have codes read. She said the code was for the manifold needing to be cleaned. I think she said manifold. They cleaned that then my truck wouldn’t start. My fricking starter went out. I’d experienced a few times when it wouldn’t turn the first time. I was just happy that I was at the shop and not at work an hour away.

I guess in being frustrated from mediation, I needed to just sit. I was at the shop for like 2 hours waiting for starter to be changed. I just relaxed and chatted with the owner. Never made it to get fuses as I had a parent meeting at 6:00 for basketball..for my grandson. Long day. Headache.

Funny thing is that my radio had stopped working today it’s back working! I thought it was the radio so I ordered a new one this morning. My grandson said all you have to do now is get the AC working! But we made it through our HOT Summer! I appreciate your help! Sorry for this long reply.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts