Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Xterra, i have a Nissan branded key fob and when i lock the doors the headlights will flash but no horn. the alarm button when pressed sets the alarm off, flashing lights and the horn honking, and when the steering wheel is pressed the horn will honk. but when locking the doors no honk. i’ve tried the “holding lock and unlock” buttons but nothing changed. is there possibly a fuse that’s blown that’s preventing the horn from honking when the doors are locked?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Look in the fuse box in hood, or driver side panel.
Not sure which, but just look at the cover for labels related to security.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,794 Posts
i believe my security fuse needs replacing. where would i find this fuse at?
If you're inclined to follow some wiring diagrams, here's the link to the free FSMs:

Start with the IDX (index), then look for WW and BL for the horn and SECU, respectively.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
@RacerXXL

Based on the VSC (SECU) comments in the FSM as well as the following diagrams, the horn that chirps when you lock the doors, the horn that honks when the alarm is triggered, and the horn that honks when you press the horn pad on the steering wheel are all the same horn. I have not found any mention of a separate horn, but I'll also admit that I have not been digging through every page and volume to find it.

If the vehicle has the security system, the horn it chirps or honks is controlled by the LG/R wire that splices into the horn wire from the steering wheel, which then goes to the relay that controls the standard horn.

The text also states that the headlights are flashed alternatingly when the horn is sounded.

The way that confirms it to me on my rig is that the stock single horn has been replaced by a pair of electric dual-tone horns, plus I've added an air compressor and a pair of trumpets. Both of these horns (2 electric + 2 air = 4 in total) are running on an extra relay that is controlled by the stock horn relay. When I press the horn pad, all 4 make noise, and they're about the same tones, so it's just louder than the 2 horns can do by themselves.

When I click the lock button on my fob, those 4 horns "chirp", and when I tested the security system last summer, those 4 horns were blaring while the headlights were flashing.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,020 Posts
On my truck there is one horn in the center of the core support behind the grill, driving horn, and on the passenger side fender well near the fuse block is a second horn, security horn. I have the OEM security system maybe the 2000 models are different.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Neither my 2001 nor my 2004 have that extra horn on the fender.

It could be like the AC pusher fan that was on certain 2000 and 2001 models, but discontinued and removed from existing unsold 2001 dealer stock, then sent back to Nissan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2001 Xterra, i have a Nissan branded key fob and when i lock the doors the headlights will flash but no horn. the alarm button when pressed sets the alarm off, flashing lights and the horn honking, and when the steering wheel is pressed the horn will honk. but when locking the doors no honk. i’ve tried the “holding lock and unlock” buttons but nothing changed. is there possibly a fuse that’s blown that’s preventing the horn from honking when the doors are locked?
That happened to me. I could never get it to work. Now I just carry a cannister of air horn. The window is rolled down mostly so it's an easy honk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts