Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am hoping to buy a 2001 Xterra tomorrow. its auto with manual 4x4 and already has the 2" lift on it.
It will need new tires, but the seller says it drives great (new engine) but in 4x4 the front left axle has a hard time.

Any ideas what this could be, or things to look out for when I inspect it?

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
461 Posts
By manual 4x4 do you mean it has the manual lever, or the hubs themselves have to be manually put into 4x4 as well? It’s not uncommon for the automatic locking mechanism in the front hubs to give out with age and use and need replacing with a manual hub that you have to get out of the vehicle to twist to 4wd mode.

if you can get the thing on jack stands and take the wheels off it’s not hard to work on the hubs, you’ll just have to learn it as you go and ask questions on here if you aren’t comfortable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By manual 4x4 do you mean it has the manual lever, or the hubs themselves have to be manually put into 4x4 as well? It’s not uncommon for the automatic locking mechanism in the front hubs to give out with age and use and need replacing with a manual hub that you have to get out of the vehicle to twist to 4wd mode.

if you can get the thing on jack stands and take the wheels off it’s not hard to work on the hubs, you’ll just have to learn it as you go and ask questions on here if you aren’t comfortable.
Well I bought it, having it assessed by a mechanic as there is an issue with the thermostat showing on the port scanner, and it did go really hot on the drive home. Hoping its not too bad!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Best of luck! Hopefully not a big issue. Get that timing belt changed and a new water pump, don’t wanna trash the engine right away!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best of luck! Hopefully not a big issue. Get that timing belt changed and a new water pump, don’t wanna trash the engine right away!
Scanner said needs new thermostat, but I brought it to a mechanic to check it all out. He says the "wiring" is messed up on the car and when he started looking under the engine, and messing with the wires it would raise rpms. The mechanic basically said it is so messed up he wouldn't work on it.

Any ideas of what to do here? Mechanic suggestions? Drive it off a cliff?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Go take pictures of the wiring, see if you can find wires that are outside of the black plastic of the harness that may be the ones he’s talking about and we can base them off of ours. If he’s a reliable mechanic, then that sucks to hear! If he’s just some guy you brought this to and you’ve never brought anything to him, a second opinion from another mechanic isn’t a bad idea

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you wiggle the mass airflow sensor the idle jumps around. Maybe it is just that.
I saw a popular mod is to remove the resonators. Would that remove this sensor too?

is this a common failure?

·
Registered
461 Posts
MAF is not something that gets removed and I don’t think it should do that. They are a delicate piece of equipment and it’s not uncommon for them to go bad due to contamination of dirt and dust. If the engine was run with a crappy air filter that allowed a lot of debris through then it could damage that and could also damage the engines internals. It’s not a terribly expensive piece to replace and see if it helps the issues. I generally shop on rockauto.com and try to get OEM if it’s available, which would be Hitachi in the case of the MAF sensor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully you didn't get one that'll rob your bank account, like I'm realizing now I may have gotten one of those🙄 Despite having mine for going on 3 and a half years with only replacing the battery twice, the second one was recently replaced couple weeks ago. Not long after replacing the battery, it broke down, had to get a tow truck, been sitting in my driveway since. I'll eventually be posting details and hoping to get some tips on a possible fix. As of now, I've checked some of the common causes for what's going on with it and still nothing. Nice looking X you have though. Good luck to you 🍀

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - ordered all the parts and have it running very smooth now.
Changed out distributor, wires and plugs to get rid of camshaft position error.
Also did the thermostat, lower and upper intake gaskets and replaced all those coolant hoses.
Running smooth as now.
Now throwing some tires on there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update - ordered all the parts and have it running very smooth now.
Changed out distributor, wires and plugs to get rid of camshaft position error.
Also did the thermostat, lower and upper intake gaskets and replaced all those coolant hoses.
Running smooth as now.
Now throwing some tires on there!
Awesome!! Yeah, distributor cap and rotor will be next on the list of things to check/replace on mine. Glad to hear you got yours purring like a kitten 😉

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome!! Yeah, distributor cap and rotor will be next on the list of things to check/replace on mine. Glad to hear you got yours purring like a kitten 😉
Got a full new distributor Assembly so all good. Only thing to do would be timing belt and water pump, not sure when that was done

1 - 13 of 13 Posts