Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How a Nissan truck (2008 Xterra) reacted to a cracked intake plenum. Started right up and a few seconds later it died. Subsequent attempts to restart acted more like the immobilizer was engaged. Had to switch the ignition to ON and then to OFF a few times and it started right up and ran what appeared to be fine. Checked for codes and had none. Drove it to work and two hours later the starting problem all over again with the same result. This went on for a few days while I thought about how to deal with it. Thought maybe the key and immobilizer thing. Anyway, driving out in the middle of nowhere and it just died. I mean no crank this time. All the body electrical was working except this time I couldn't get the alarm to set with the fob and I had a red key security light indicator. I sat out there for about 30 minutes contemplating if I needed to call for search & rescue, lol. Anyway, again, it decided it would start for me so I got back to the nearest highway at the gate and it died. It started it right back up with no more security light. The troubleshooting led to me to the "take your keys to the dealer service shop and get the immobilizer checked out."

Dealer checks and no codes but one of the mechanics thought he could hear a vacuum leak when they could get it started something I didn't notice. I got a hole in the intake plenum of all things plus at first they couldn't get Consult to communicate with the ECM. A few more attempts and the ECM is talking and no codes. I uploaded a couple of images and a short video on Google Drive.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts