Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transmission radiator relocation and new high performance Ford radiator swap.

So today I finally discovered few issues that were haunting me with my Xterra. I’ve been reading allot about why my engine after all the mods and all new elements I have replaced it was overheating at high revs with high speeds.

After all the mods and making the mistake of leaving the original clutch fan I realized that the push fans were trying really hard to push air but the clutch would slow down the fan at high rpms making the airflow stagnant in between the two fans. Having two different cfms pulling and pushing no bueno.

So we need to make a change !

Having all that heat produced by the headers and additional power from the supercharger plus the additional loads on the car is not easy and it produces allot of heat under the hood.

plus with all the steel and crap I placed in the front less air travels through .... anyway

You need to have a nice flow of air with no diffusion to increase air flow.

So the guys from Racing Power in California especially Randy the guru, hooked it up with a dual pass radiator same size as the original, all aluminum dual pass beast !

I really wanted a triple pass but then it would have required a huge hose in the front. Hmm not good for a hot hose to hang plus I don’t feel it was worth the hassle.

Randy explained they the gains from double to triple were not warranted for the hassle, so I agreed and it made sense.

single stock: crap
2 layers 100 percent more
3 layer 50 percent more

real work gain 5 to 10 percent max

not worth the trouble

Anyway, I went ahead and purchased a second set of jetstream 2 fans from maradyne to install as a pull fan. I left the push fans in front of the condenser as a back up fan so now I have 5 fans total.

Yes the old fan clutch and shroud are gone. No more ! Let gain a few ponies just from that mod !

Ready for the heat baby !!

I also purchased some kick ass antifreeze “Chill” synthetic to marry the whole thing. Very exited !

Of course we will flush the whole system for the new fluids and take it for a drive !!

Will be completed next week I’ll post some pics and let you guys know how it all came out.

Next week :

Installing high performance distributor and coil, and high performance Granatelli cables and of course some new plugs !

Also replaced the entire brake system but I forgot the main master cylinder so that will take place too.

On order all new Ams oil fluids and performing a trans flush. It’s had it done but I feel it needs the complete swap for Ams oils.

Still have to trim some sections of my Molding’s just in case I hit some large rocks

Some welding, and ect

work in progress let’s see what happens!

Great to have found this group thanks again !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
  • 1 day ago
  • So today I went to check on the project and discovered that the radiator will need a bit not custom mounts to make it happen.
    We will have to fabricate custom brackets for the jet stream ll’s to be able to hold the shroud in place and isolate the performance radiator from excessive vibration.

it will be great to have almost triple the capacity of cooling power when the demand needs it.

High performance distributor was installed today we will try to get it all timed correctly today after we install the new Granatelli 0 ohm wires. I’m expecting a slight performance increase hopefully and a cleaner ignition.
    I would have love to placed and entire MSD system but it is not available for this engine.

I had to settle for a dragon fire will a slight larger capacitor ( hopefully ) and real world testing will hopefully be a noticeable gain.

I think also the fact that I have deleted the fan clutch will provide me with a nicer response and a few more Hp as I mentioned before.

I’m considering installing a jet Programer to see what parameters I can tweak and or repack the supercharger pulleys to get a few more ho there as well.
  • That’s a whole new thread

Anyway, we will see what happens tomorrow once it’s all up an running !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 3.

So today I realized that the zip ties won’t do the trick and the brackets won’t work for the shroud.
So I decided to have the guys from Aero wedding design some dowels to drill the aluminum tanks and weld dowels with threads to install the shroud correctly.

took about 5 hours to make the parts and welded them into the tank. We will try to install the radiator with some aluminum brackets that we designed. Check out the pics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Day 4.
After analyzing the issues with the much larger radiator and placement we will build some custom brackets as mentioned before, and secure them to the body of the truck on the upper frame and build a base to the bottom plate.

These have to be isolate from vibration so we installed some rubber isolators to help the radiator from extreme vibration.

I believe today might be the day that we finally install the radiator and start up the engine again.

B998F9F8-0B2F-4203-B4EE-5558A6C36106.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Day 5.
Radiator is in and we have a small issue with the hoses. We opted to get some flex hoses and new upper hose since the original is to short.
Also the cables are going in today for the ignition system.

We are expecting some gains on efficiency and a few more ponies at the wheels.
I’ll keep you guys posted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts