Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Josh.
I recently purchased my first X, a 00 4x4 SE. I have had the itch for an off road capable vehicle for a while, and I am a 10 year Nissan technician so an Xterra or some other Nissan platform made sense.
I have always been a car guy - autocross, drifting, road racing - but as I've gotten older and wanted more practical means of automotive fun the appeal of trail riding has been growing. My wife and I hike some and I am getting back into mountain biking, I guess I am just getting more into nature.

I hope I can be a helpful addition to the community, and make some friends along the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome.
I don't know that I'd call myself knowledgeable, but I take pride in what I do. The industry has changed a lot since I started in 03-04, but there are still some really talented people that have stuck it out, but the attrition rate is pretty high.

How much wheeling does anyone do from the forum anymore? Seems like the community isn't as active as it probably once was.

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
455 Posts
I’m fairly new to the forum, but it definitely doesn’t seem as active as it probably once was! I’m from Decatur and new to the X, never off-roaded but I really want to, just not comfortable with the state of my X yet. Would love to get off-road out in the Chattahoochee forest soon enough!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Cartersville and work in Marietta so we're pretty close by. I have a little trail riding experience, but nothing major. I spent so many years and a lot of money persuing other automotive interests.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forums. I've had my X for 8 years now and only this year have I started to get into wheeling. Even bone stock, an Xterra is one capable vehicle. I'm located in Roswell, and I've made a few trips up to the north GA mountains and found some great trails up around Helen. I'd be happy to point you to some good starter trails if you wanted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, welcome to the forums. I've had my X for 8 years now and only this year have I started to get into wheeling. Even bone stock, an Xterra is one capable vehicle. I'm located in Roswell, and I've made a few trips up to the north GA mountains and found some great trails up around Helen. I'd be happy to point you to some good starter trails if you wanted.
I would absolutely welcome the direction.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would absolutely welcome the direction.
First real trail I ever did was Charlies Creek Trail, which is up near lake Burton. It's a ton of fun, with several river and creek crossings and some technical (but easy) crawling sections. There's a nice little spur off the trail about halfway through that takes you to a cool little camping area. The picture in my signature is from that spur. It took me about 2.5 hours to do that, though I was going slow and enjoying the sights. Nearby, just South of Lake Burton, is Oakey Mountain OHV area. I was going to do this one after Charlies Creek, but when I went there the trails were closed for mowing. Still want to go back there sometime since the trails look pretty expansive from what I can see on google maps.

Closer to Helen is a fun little road called Indian Grave Gap Road. I found this one completely by accident. I was driving back from Brasstown Bald, saw a sign on the road for High Shoals Falls scenic area and turned down that road, which turned out to be the best decision I had made that day. It's not much of a trail, there's a river crossing at the beginning if you take the North entrance, but after that my Mom's minivan could have done it. It's pretty and leads you to the High Shoals Falls hiking trail. It's a short hike to the falls, which are quite spectacular as far as southern waterfalls go. The road crosses the Appalachian trail, and right where it crosses there is an old forest service road that is more of a proper trail. A few creek crossings but nothing too technical. Leads to some beautiful, secluded areas and its where I took my profile picture.

Also near Helen is Tray Mountain Trail, off of Chimney mountain road. I have not been there yet, although it has been highly recommended to me by people in some other forums. From what I can see on google maps, it looks pretty long and some areas look a bit technical. One could probably tackle it with a stock Xterra, but I'm waiting until I get my armor lift and new tires before I take it just to be on the safe side.

Finally, closer to the city you have the Dawson Forest City of Atlanta Tract. I have not been there, but my Mom's taken her SUV there and said it has some fun trails and river crossings. However, with it being closer to the city, it's probably more crowded and eroded than some other places up North.

These are just the ones I know of, I'm certain there are dozens more trails and cool roads to travel up North. Sometimes you just need a little spirit of adventure to find some good places. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I grew up in Dawsonville and spent a lot of time in those woods - hunting, camping and such. I need to get back over that way and see my family and maybe make a day trip of it in the woods.
I've got to get some minor maintenance stuff done before I take this on more than a dirt road. I am probably gonna try to do a couple of legs of the GA traverse this spring.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,098 Posts
The forum has slowed down but there are still active wheelers on the site. I’ve never wheeled in GA, have wheeled mostly Alabama and TN, mostly TN. Check out https://wentwindrock.com/ it’s a large event held near Oakridge TN. WindRock is a spectacularly large, over 300 miles of trails, park and has something for everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife and I got out last weekend to ride around on some forest service roads north of us. We rode roughly 50 miles of the Georgia Traverse trails, which I have an interest in trying to complete the full run sometime early this spring.
Went at windrock looks like it would be a blast. I've been watching a bunch of videos of the trails at windrock, they really do have a little bit of everything there it appears. We may have to make this a destination this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts