Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2004 4WD XE, with 61k miles on it.

I currently drive a '97 Stratus, and have never (~8yrs) let a mechanic touch it. Kind of conflicted about stepping up to a vehicle that may exceed my technical resources, but I needed something to tow my sailboat.

Carfax shows pretty regular maintenance, and it's had the knock sensor, drive belts and some basic stuff replaced already. Anything else to be aware of or be proactive about tackling? I'll likely upgrade the air intake to try to improve the mileage, maybe better brakes. (and read the forums and FAQs) 0:)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Timing belt.
Your way under mileage but way past time.
If you don't know FOR SURE it's been done assume it hasn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Found the sticky post of common issues, I think I can handle most or all of those repairs, so that's good news. Curious about jacking since it's already almost as high as my car ever was on the jackstands I have. Feels like I can just roll right under there as is!

Carfax says "drive belt" and not timing, so I'm going to assume it has not been changed but, after reading up, that will be my first order of business come spring.. or sooner if it never ends up snowing. Weird winter in Wisconsin so far..

I'll get some pics soon! Picked it up on Sat morning, had a friend drive it back and haven't looked at it since. Gonna savor this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts