Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked all the fuses and relays and they are all good. Visual inspection of the bulbs and they looked good. With an electrical tester I tested the plug where it connects to the bulb and found no power with the low beams on. When switched to hi beams there is power at the plug. I don't have fog lights.

Where do I look now? Could it be the switch?

My fuel pump died last weekend and was replaced Monday. I noticed this issue the first time I needed the headlights. When the pump died I tried to restart and it barely started and the gauges/lights flashed all over the dashboard. Could this have something to do with it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lights were not on when the gauges were flashing.

Run the jumper to the low beam side near the bulb or further back in the wiring?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still no lights. Tested the bulbs at Napa and they are fine. Retested all the fuses and found that I'm getting no power to the two 15amp fuses in the fuse box under the hood. Top two in column on the right. Top fuses, head lamp LH and head lamp RH.

Could this be an IPDM issue?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
If ONE filament is bad on ONE side, it can mess up the OTHER side.

The fuse box itself has some ground straps and so forth under and along it, plus the bolting of the box to the body itself...check the continuity.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every other fuse works. Seems if it was a problem with the grounding of the box that the other fuses would have the same issue. The bulbs are 100% working. Both bulbs test at Napa they are fine.

Bought my car used. Going to call the dealership with the VIN tomorrow and see if they can tell me if all my recalls have been taken care of. Seems the IPDM could cause this issue.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Every other fuse works. Seems if it was a problem with the grounding of the box that the other fuses would have the same issue. The bulbs are 100% working. Both bulbs test at Napa they are fine.

Bought my car used. Going to call the dealership with the VIN tomorrow and see if they can tell me if all my recalls have been taken care of. Seems the IPDM could cause this issue.
We're just looking at some alternatives to the IPDM issue as back up.

I HAVE seen selective fuse issues when grounding paths lose continuity though, so it doesn't have to be all or none.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks TJ. I'll check the continuity tonight.

In the meantime I found the ECM relay as never swapped out although it was recalled. Could this be the cause of the issue?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a dealership 5 minutes from my work so I stopped in an bought a new ECM relay and swapped that out but it didn't solve my issue.

The more I read about issues with the IPDM it seems that could be my problem. I've had some of the intermittent sluggishness prior to my fuel pump being replaced and the gauges flashed like a bastard when the pump died. Could this be my issue or is it possibly my switch?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Possibly, but this sort of thing is very hard to diagnose by remote control.

:D

Checking the continuity is your best bet thus far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't get to checking the continuity yet. I have a multimeter and will do that tomorrow (rained here last night/was busy tonight).

What is the best method for testing it since I already tested with a test light and there is no power at the fuses but the fuses are good?

Thank you in advance for the help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the continuity the two 15A headlamp fuses and although there is no power going to them when the lights are supposed to be on there is continuity. No continuity at the headlights themselves except for the middle terminal.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I checked the continuity the two 15A headlamp fuses and although there is no power going to them when the lights are supposed to be on there is continuity. No continuity at the headlights themselves except for the middle terminal.
I'm not understanding what you mean.

If power doesn't go through the fuse, to the head light, when the light is ON, how is the fuse supposed to BLOW if there's a problem?

The PROBLEM sounds like the power is not REACHING the fuses when the head lights are supposed to be on.

(If you said hitting the switch turned the lights on, AND there was juice going through the fuses, that would be normal. If the lights are on and no juice is going through the fuses, then, the juice is taking a SHORT cut around the fuse box. As the lights are OFF when they are supposed to be ON, and, no power is going through the fuses...the power ended its trip before GETTING TO the fuses.)

Continuity means the power is getting through, or, for a ground, that the ground path makes it all the way to where it has to get to.

If there's no power going through it, there's no continuity....where the flow ENDS is the loss in continuity.

As you said there was no continuity at the head light except the middle terminal....I THINK you mean that you are simply testing for current, and either getting it (Hot) or not (Dead), and CALLING hot continuity for the middle terminal...but, was anything going TO the other terminals?

Where did the power for the middle terminal come from? What was its path to get to that terminal?

How did you decide that even though there was no power going through the fuses, that they had continuity anyway?

(I'm trying to get a handle on your situ)

:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My responses in RED. My original post was worded poorly.

The PROBLEM sounds like the power is not REACHING the fuses when the head lights are supposed to be on. Agreed. What could cause this? I'm thinking the next thing is to take the steering column apart to test the switch

As you said there was no continuity at the head light except the middle terminal....I THINK you mean that you are simply testing for current, and either getting it (Hot) or not (Dead), and CALLING hot continuity for the middle terminal...but, was anything going TO the other terminals?

Where did the power for the middle terminal come from? What was its path to get to that terminal? When I was checking the continuity I had the one probe from the multimeter to the negative terminal on the battery and the other probe on the 15A fuse. Showed a "closed" circuit, complete path. Same process for the middle terminal on the bulb socket. I believe that terminal is ground. In a separate test there is power going to the high beam side when the high beams are on.

How did you decide that even though there was no power going through the fuses, that they had continuity anyway? Above. Also when previously tested with a test light I found I had no power going to these fuses. Your earlier post mentioned that some fuses may have a good ground while others did not. I believe this test showed they were all grounded properly.

(I'm trying to get a handle on your situ) I appreciate your help. Basic electrical is not a strength of mine. My father would say I know just enough to be dangerous.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Resistance from negative terminal on the battery to the two 15A headlamp fuses is 5.4ohms. Is that too high?

Still no lights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I pulled the low beam relay in the IPDM and tested it. It is fine and I have 12.5 volts at the relay. If I have power at the relay does that mean the issue isn't in the BCM?
Essentially, if you have power TO a location, the system from the location ONWARDS is where you look next.

When the power is NOT found at a location, you then look FROM where you had it last, forward, towards where you lost it.

So, if the relay is getting the trigger current, you then look to confirm its SENDING that current to the device needing triggering....and so forth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Essentially, if you have power TO a location, the system from the location ONWARDS is where you look next.

When the power is NOT found at a location, you then look FROM where you had it last, forward, towards where you lost it.

So, if the relay is getting the trigger current, you then look to confirm its SENDING that current to the device needing triggering....and so forth.
TJTJ I just went back out and although the relay functions on a bench test when I turn the headlights on there is no click in the relay. It seems that nothing is telling the relay to close.

So I am back to thinking it is the switch or something internal in the IPDM.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts