Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a gallon for X-mas, and I've spent the last few hours stripping down the rear cargo area. Ive searched and searched and cant find any threads specifically about this so I have a few questions:

Theres some sort of rubber material over the metal, maybe to deaden sound? heres a pic:

You can see where the yellow changes color. I dont wanna herculine over something that can be peeled off easily and this stuff comes off in chunks pretty easy. (I've only taken off maybe a square inch).

Can anyone thats done this tell me what its going to do to my sound? I just installed new 6x9s and my 12" sub is coming soon.....so I'd hate to ruin the acoustics

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You are totally gonna screw up the acoustics if you do that. Thats pretty much bare outer metal so your gonna get tons of noise from it. Best bet would be to leave the carpet and get a husky mat or something. I love mine cause i can just take it out and hose it off if it gets dirty.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had it like the pics for about 2 months......and my stereo sounds perfectly fine.

In most places it's not bare outer metal- if you read my post there is some sort of gum-like coating on the metal in most places.

My question is: is it safe to remove this coating or should I Herculine over this coating?

From what I understand the Herculiner (or any truck bed liner for that matter) WILL effectively deaden sound though not as much as dynamat or a similar product. I've even talked to people who have used it to cover subwoofer boxes.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yeah that is sound deadener. Much like putting your hand on a ringing cymbal that heavy mat stuff stops the reverberating noise the metal may cause. Having to have to put up with that stuff in the past I can tell you the factory deadener really isn't that great. Maybe its just to stiff and from old age? But, I don't find it anywhere near the level of other spray on or rubber based sheet deadeners. Having done the entire rear hatch area of my X with Second Skins damplifier there is a big difference. If your looking to remove the mat and apply Herculiner while enhancing your sound stage. I would look into a spray on sound deadener to under coat the bottom of the trunk area with from under the truck. Though enough coats of Herculiner from above may be just as effective like I said the factory stuff hasn't proven to be that great anyways.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
I left it on and I herculined my entire interior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts