Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my transmission rebuilt, new tcm, new radiator, new thermostat,. Mechanic said my truck was running like shit. Would only start if the nss was bypassed. So I researched found out the ipdm was probably fried. Bought a new one . He said now there's no power going to the car. But my keyless remote somehow locks and unlocked the truck. Is he just trying to rip me off? What else could it be besides the obvious fuses and relays?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Did the transmission fail because of SMOD? I am pretty sure there is no rebuilding a transmission that failed because of SMOD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The antifreeze did infiltrate. But all new innards clutches seals the works. Tranny case was cleaned by a machine so looked like new inside. I think the problem is he didn't reprogram the tcm or the ipdm but what do I know im just a woman who knows how to read a repair manual, and repair my own vehicles. But had no where to work on the truck so my brother in law says my mechanic will do the job for 1600. Well it's 2 and a half months later and still no truck.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
When the antifreeze get in side the trans is done no matter what kind of cleaning the parts are trash .The TCM is the first thing to go bad the antifreeze get in side and TCM controls the whole trans and first signal is poor shifting. The TCM is $1200 so there no way to justify sinking money in to a dead trans . Sorry find a donor or Nissan replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tranny has all new innards no old parts. Just found out the mechanics saying no power is getting to tcm so he shorted something out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My old tcm was fried mechanic got a new one don't know if he ever checked it's insides out before installing it. With my luck he didn't and is trying to get more money

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
There no way to fix the trans for $1600 if you bought all new parts you would spend $10,000 in new parts !!The tork converter and tcm are $2500 just for those 2 parts the oil pump and valve body is another $3000 be careful looks like your going a ride to no ware !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Master rebuild kit was 450. With all new clutches and rings etc. Tcm 450. Completely redone by some company in ny. Radiator 120. Ipdm 175.

·
Registered
255 Posts

That is standard 4 speed automatic. To get to the clutches/rings they literally have to disassemble nearly the entire thing, and I find it hard to believe every single piece in that diagram was replaced. Even if it is just a TCM, I hope you got at least a 5 year warranty on that rebuild.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts

That is standard 4 speed automatic. To get to the clutches/rings they literally have to disassemble nearly the entire thing, and I find it hard to believe every single piece in that diagram was replaced. Even if it is just a TCM, I hope you got at least a 5 year warranty on that rebuild.
You left off the tork converter would like to see how they got the antifreeze out that baby.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Refurbished transmission from nissan 6000. Used with 29,000 miles was 1700. But mechanic wouldn't order it. Took it upon himself to "REBUILD" I'm getting all my used parts so I won't know til I get my truck. Will never ever trust any mechanic to do anything without trying to rip me off. I'm a woman and they think that we are all stupid. I've been working on my own vehicles for 33 years. My parents didn't raise dumb women. But I had no way to work on the truck I live in an apt. So no driveway no garage. This guy is my brother in laws buddy who owns a garage. So from the get go I was screwed. First by nissan for not saying there was a recall or faulty radiator. Now by a hack.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
If you ever get this truck on the road throw some mud on the machine washed case and take right back to Nissan and trade it in.I will bet in less than 10,000 miles you will be walking again if not sooner !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't afford to trade it in. If I have to I will replace tranny when I get my car accident settlement. Which should be soon and I'll do all the work myself. I'm so sick right now of the crap. I am getting my truck tomorrow come hell or high water. I am reading the entire service manual so I'll fix the electrical problem myself. But thanks for answering my cry for help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts