Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have developed an oil leak that the mechanics said is most likely the valve cover gasket which is dripping onto the exhaust and ever so unpleasant and smoky:) I have searched and found several people say that this is a pretty easy task. I recently changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor - although it was one of the most interesting I have ever done. I have not been able to find a description of the process or a source for the steps. The mechanic says it is a 3-4 hour job and mostly labor cost, so I would prefer to do the labor if it is easy enough...Any help would be appreciated.:)

· Registered
68 Posts
I need to do this as well. Mine isn't smoking at all, but it is dripping just enough to smell after the engine warms up.

· Registered
2,981 Posts
Passenger side or Driver side?

· Registered
68 Posts
Driver's side for me.

· Registered
2,981 Posts

· Registered
997 Posts

· Registered
2,981 Posts
Valve covers or head gaskets???
well im planing to open the valve cover for now, i need to figure out what the ticking noise is coming from my engine. opened the passenger side last weekend and found nothing wrong so im hoping i can find it under the driver side valve cover so that i dont have to get a new engine.

· Registered
68 Posts
After seeing that, I'm looking forward to doing this even less.

· Registered
2,981 Posts
i wouldnt want to do it either but its gonna save you a whole lotta $$.

· Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, I was quoted about $500 to replace it at the stealership. Oh and another $500 to replace the oil pan gasket. Not gonna happen, lol.

· Registered
2 Posts
A couple of you talk of removing the beastly intake manifold. Would anyone care to explain and/or provide tips for removal. The idea of saving over $1k doing this myself makes me dread doing it a little less.

Tom

· Registered
68 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but I will be sure to post up pics and any "lessons learned" after I finish. It will probably be next weekend before i can get around to doing it though.

· Registered
2,981 Posts
A couple of you talk of removing the beastly intake manifold. Would anyone care to explain and/or provide tips for removal. The idea of saving over $1k doing this myself makes me dread doing it a little less.

Tom
it shouldnt be that hard. find whats holding it down, unscrew and remove. ill do a write up soon for removing the intake manifolds.

· Registered
34 Posts
I had/have an oil smell. I just replaced the valve cover gasket and that has helped. It was still leaking oil so I tightened the VCG where it was leaking and that seemed to help. My question; is there a suggested tightness for the VCG and should I have been able to screw it down more?

TJTJ has the manuals. I wonder if he could shed some light on this.

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.