Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several threads on this but I have a new to me 2003 xterra 3.3 manual trans, non supercharged.

I was letting it idle and warm up one day and it got hot. I did some checking and heard rattling from under timing cover. vehicle has 123k on it.

changed timing belt, idler, water pump, t-stat (180 deg) and coolant. threw a new cap on also.

used a spill free funnel to fill the system and within a few miles started getting hot.

about 3/4 on the gauge. stopped and opened the cap a bit and steam came out. temp imediatly went down.

drove back to shop and let cool. I forgot about the bleed screw on top of intake next to throttle. opened it and bled system. test drove ok. drove for about 1.5 weeks. ok, no over heating. then took on a trip got about 40 miles and temp gauge was right at hot line. steam from over flow tank. sat and let cool down. the funny thing is temp climbs when driving and if I take my foot off the gas the gauge will crawl back down. opposite of what others have reported.

after it cooled down for an hour the top hose was sucked flat.

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
Ok first thing your top hose is bad you need a new one if should never go flat the rubber is soft .Next you may have bad head gasket you need to rent or buy a test kit from auto zone .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok first thing your top hose is bad you need a new one if should never go flat the rubber is soft .Next you may have bad head gasket you need to rent or buy a test kit from auto zone .
ok, my thoughts were a new hose, but i am comfused why the hose sucked flat anyway. I can do a block test tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did a few things to this rig other night. it seems to over heat at completly random times. first thing I found was clutch fan when vehicle was running hot had little to no resistance on it. ordered new clutch for fan. removed fan and shroud and and ran car. got up to normal temp and I was reving it a bit. temps began to climb. used a temp gun went accross radiator from pass side to drivers side right in middle. at pass side found 138 deg as i got closer to center it droped to about 71 deg and then climbed back up to 120 ish on drivers side.

removed radiator and turned upside down and about a cup of silver stop leak cam out the top of the radiator. flushed and flushed. got most out. (although I cannot make sure the tubes are clear I used a boroscope and looked at the top tank). Flushed complete engine heater core and all lines. removed t-stat and inspected. found installed correctly and not plugged with stop leak. reassembled and drove, beat the crap out of it and didnt even get over half way, next morning drove great did not over heat. the yesterday got up to the top of temp gauge again? WTF!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybee you need to re-read it.... we found stop leak in radiator. I flushed it out. i ordered a new radiator today

i have not owned this rig for very long

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ya, I would still do a compression check or if you don't have the tools, a coolant system tester works too. If it is a head gasket, that could explain why some dumb @$$ put stop leak in it. I consistently have to remind my wife when we go to the auto store that just because it says it will fix a leak, it doesn't mean that it won't screw something else up even more. It sounds like you might have found one issue, let's hope that the stop leak didn't plug up your water pump or passageways in the motor, but I wouldn't feel comfortable until you check the compression and/or pressurize the cooling system above 14 psi...just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to ask, do you use any coolant? Or is your oil chocolate milky looking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and I forgot to ask, do you use any coolant? Or is your oil chocolate milky looking?

nope, no water, coolant in oil. changed oil just a day ago and was expecting to find water but none. the cooling system will push coolant out and then not suck back in when cooling

·
Registered
158 Posts
there's a few tiny passages (think small orifices in the headgasket itself that act as sort of baffles in the coolant galleries) by the headgasket that the bars leak probably plugged up really good. I dont think you are getting proper coolant flow around your combustion chambers which will overheat the combustion chambers and lead to cracked heads.. theres a reason dumb-dumb before you dumped bars leak into the rad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there's a few tiny passages (think small orifices in the headgasket itself that act as sort of baffles in the coolant galleries) by the headgasket that the bars leak probably plugged up really good. I dont think you are getting proper coolant flow around your combustion chambers which will overheat the combustion chambers and lead to cracked heads.. theres a reason dumb dumb before you dumped bars leak into the rad
I wish anyone would read the first post. This is what I discoverd not what I did. I did not put the stop leak into the car. I am just finding this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
there's a few tiny passages (think small orifices in the headgasket itself that act as sort of baffles in the coolant galleries) by the headgasket that the bars leak probably plugged up really good. I dont think you are getting proper coolant flow around your combustion chambers which will overheat the combustion chambers and lead to cracked heads.. theres a reason dumb dumb before you dumped bars leak into the rad
I wish anyone would read the first post. This is what I discoverd not what I did. I did not put the stop leak into the car. I am just finding this.
kapeesh?

·
Registered
444 Posts
When was the last time you did your thermostat and radiator cap? And i would get a compression and leak down test done

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
PML, EFan, stock intake mod, shocks, a bunch of maintenance, and a tune up coming soon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well so far so good. replaced radiator, and clutch fan. and new cap. old cap was about two weeks old but full of slimey good and stop leak. just like radiator. we pulled the top off the tank and looked inside, nasty.

all good so far..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Glad to hear...let's hope it stopped in the radiator and someone just dumped it in and didn't run it like the instructions say to...hope you got lucky

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
PML, EFan, stock intake mod, shocks, a bunch of maintenance, and a tune up coming soon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts