Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So I’ve been tracking down the issues I’ve been seeing over in my other thread here.
I believe I tracked it down to a bad distributor. I decided to replace it with a new one. I noted the old distributors position and put the new one in and lightly tightened the distributor holder bolt.
I then proceeded to time the engine and was just finishing up when I was tightening the bolt and ended up stripping the threads on the bolt. I pulled the distributor out to make sure it was the bolt and not the aluminum bracket that was stripped.

Thankfully just the bolt, so I was able to get a new one from a local hardware store.Now in the midst of all this. I forgot to make marks for the distributor UGH!
So now with the distributor in, the car won’t start. Just keeps trying and trying and occasionally I hear a low “put put” in the exhaust. I believe I have to reset the timing entirely and from what I’ve read these are the steps.

1. Set the crank to 0° with the dizzy out of the engine I did that

2. install the dizzy aligning the rotor to plug #1. I did that as well.

i tried to start the car and it still won’t start. Just keeps cranking and after about 10 cranks I hear that low “put put” almost like a quiet backfire sound.
Any help would be appreciated. This is our car for the next two weeks while our other one is in the shop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crankshaft moves two turns for every one time the distributor turns. You’re probably 180 off on the distributor. Remove it and turn the crankshaft over one turn then put the distributor back in
I was able to get it started and timed. I ended up using a screw drive on cylinder 1 to get to TDC. Then reinstalled the dizzy and it started right up! Wow, I sure am glad it wasn’t anything serious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts