Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turning the key does not crank the vehicle. It has full power, headlights, windows n such. Battery terminals were corroded, I cleaned them thoroughly. I took out the starter and had it bench tested at Advanced, no problems there. Only one fuse was blown in the IPDM, 49 I think the ECM yellow 20 amp. Replaced it and still nothing. Relays are hard to remove, I destroyed R4 by accident but replaced it with another one. I'm really at a loss here, and this is my only car right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,469 Posts
If you're not afraid of somewhat difficult electrical diagrams, download the FSMs (factory service manuals) for free. Using Post #1 is easiest. Just so you know, I've seen better diagrams that are easier to understand, but with a bit of effort, these can be useful.

What you're trying to find where the Start signal is interrupted. If it gets from the key to the relay, then the next step is to check the wire from the relay to the starter solenoid. Make sure it's energized when you attempt to start. If it is, then it has failed between the relay and solenoid. If no power, then check the FSM for any other fuses, since sometimes there is more than one fuse that protects the circuitry.

Also, if you have a security device, it could be interfering with the Start signal.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,354 Posts
I’d first look to see if the security indicator is solid. It may not allow the starter to turn because of an immobilizer issue. Blown fuse is concerning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're not afraid of somewhat difficult electrical diagrams, download the FSMs (factory service manuals) for free. Using Post #1 is easiest. Just so you know, I've seen better diagrams that are easier to understand, but with a bit of effort, these can be useful.

What you're trying to find where the Start signal is interrupted. If it gets from the key to the relay, then the next step is to check the wire from the relay to the starter solenoid. Make sure it's energized when you attempt to start. If it is, then it has failed between the relay and solenoid. If no power, then check the FSM for any other fuses, since sometimes there is more than one fuse that protects the circuitry.

Also, if you have a security device, it could be interfering with the Start signal.
I know this may be a silly question, but what setting on the multimeter do I use? like for instance when I check the starter relay e210 behind the battery?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
What you want is to put it in the DC Voltage range, and select something that is the next size greater than 12V. For example, my old VOM (volt-ohm meter) used the '2' a lot, so my choices were 2V, 20V, 200V, etc. My more modern DVOM (digital VOM) uses the '6', so my choices are 6V, 60V, 600V, etc. In those examples, I'd select 20V or 60V since the next setting below that is less than 12V.

If yours is digital, you don't even have to worry about which lead to put on the ground or the power, but most folks put the black lead on ground. DVOMs will show a negative voltage, where the old needle-type VOM would peg the bottom of the scale until you stopped measuring, so you had to be more careful about positive and negative.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What you want is to put it in the DC Voltage range, and select something that is the next size greater than 12V. For example, my old VOM (volt-ohm meter) used the '2' a lot, so my choices were 2V, 20V, 200V, etc. My more modern DVOM (digital VOM) uses the '6', so my choices are 6V, 60V, 600V, etc. In those examples, I'd select 20V or 60V since the next setting below that is less than 12V.

If yours is digital, you don't even have to worry about which lead to put on the ground or the power, but most folks put the black lead on ground. DVOMs will show a negative voltage, where the old needle-type VOM would peg the bottom of the scale until you stopped measuring, so you had to be more careful about positive and negative.
excellent thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so I just received an old 2 reader in the mail and it tells me there is no communication with the TCM. seems important, any ideas how this factors in with my current issues?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If it showed codes, please share them. Folks here are pretty smart. It'll probably be a U-code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it showed codes, please share them. Folks here are pretty smart. It'll probably be a U-code.
one code, U0101 no communication with tcm... so i am onn the verge of buyinng a nnew tcm. is. there somethinng i shouuld check before i blow $200?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts