Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Xterra
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I just got done installing my NiLight Pods, and they look sick! Anyway, parts I used for this project include:

1. NiLight Pods
2. NiLight company wiring harness set.

They light up everything, but after letting the vehicle sit a while, and i start it up again, it has a roughish start, and I have reason it could be the lights causing problems to my battery..

Couple things to note, I plugged the wires everything correctly, and switched the fuse to a 10A. I did notice my negative terminal on my car battery can easily (with some force) move back and forth..

My question:
Should I have plugged the wiring to my ignition switch so when the car is off, it doesn't draw?

Or
Is the way I wired this in, is correct?

Thank you.
If more info is need, I'll gladly answer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That negative battery terminal being able to move at all is a bad thing. Vehicle start draws a lot of current and a loose terminal will seriously limit the amount of current that the battery will be able to pass along to the starter load. Tight is right!

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Xterra
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That negative battery terminal being able to move at all is a bad thing. Vehicle start draws a lot of current and a loose terminal will seriously limit the amount of current that the battery will be able to pass along to the starter load. Tight is right!
Copy. Before I tighten it some more, I think my negative terminal on my NiLight cable is somewhat preventing this from tightening. Any advice?
I'll try to mess with it right now in the mean time. Thank you

·
Registered
78 Posts
Find another ground location to connect your NiLight ground cable to. No need to cause interference with a good tight connection for the negative terminal of the battery. Use a frame ground or engine ground connection. You will find both with existing connections that already run to frame or engine ground.

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
151 Posts
Put a pair of Vise Grips on the negative terminal and see if it starts better. If it does, then the terminal is the issue.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
660 Posts
That negative battery terminal being able to move at all is a bad thing. Vehicle start draws a lot of current and a loose terminal will seriously limit the amount of current that the battery will be able to pass along to the starter load
this is very important and often overlooked. Remember the terminals are cone shaped so the farther down they are, the tighter they can be.

Put a pair of Vise Grips on the negative terminal and see if it starts better. If it does, then the terminal is the issue
this is also good advice to quickly check it. Voltage drop can also be measured here using a DVOM

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Xterra
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your help. I disconnected everything... (Off-road light wise)... And ran a screw through the terminal. I'm having my bro-in-law's neighbor help me install a new terminal tomorrow, and this one has better connections for the NiLights to plug into. I appreciate all of you! Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts