Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here's the story, I was stuck in rush hour traffic on my way home from work on day and all of the sudden my 2000 xterra just dies, my friends father and I replaced the timing because the belt was completely stripped out. now that we have the timing on for some reason it stopped giving spark to the plugs. I could really use advise on how to get it up and running again my fiancé is pregnant and I really need my vehicle, all the fuses are ok the distributor spins but no sparks from the plugs, I was told it could be the distributor module or even a computer. any advise anyone would help tremendously!:|

·
Registered
621 Posts
Umm. If the belt broke you broke it. And thats exactly what it sounds like. These are interference engines some get lucky when they break others dont. Check to make sure you hooked the harness up back to the distributor? Was it timed right? If it broke and they didnt set it to tdc it could be a problem. Either way it needs a compression test done if the belt had broke as you may have a dead motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we replaced the belt and tensioner, everything is timed right and at tdc he claims to have gotten it to start once but then the tensioner spring went out and knocked the new belt loose again, and then after we installed the new spring stud ad tensioner its not gettis spark to the plugs its cranking strong and you can smell gas being pumped in its just not ignighting

·
Registered
621 Posts
Oh my lord guy pushing the timing belt god as far as he can go bahaha. If maybe it was timed poorly and the timing belt jumped it may have burnt the ignition coil. But even if the motor was broken if it has the belt on it should get spark,

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well as of now try this. Pull the wires off the distributor and see if its getting spark. If no id start with new distributor used one whatever to see if its that. Check the ecu fuse i think thats inside the cab. And make sure all connections are good. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. But i wish you the best of luck as the timing belt broke. Again some it doesnt hurt anything others destroys. But judging by if it was started i would think it was fine than.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks im looking into it now, do you think it could possibly be anti theft? my key is extremely warn out and had been having trouble turning the locks and in the ignition, I read somewhere that it could be cutting off the spark vs having a fuel cut off? just a thought you know?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Anti theft I doubt it would be. I once had so much trouble getting mine to turn in my work parking lot I say there for over an hour and almost called a tow truck. After that I shot some wd40 down in it pulled my battery out and turned the key back and forth several times. Never had a problem since.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It could be anti theft though but judging by how this happened after the belt came undone again I doubt it would be. Fuses or the distributor. And to comfirm all connections are seated properly and the rotor in the distributor IS turning correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my friends dad took a look at it again after I told him the info you shared earlier he said that the distributor bearing went out and sent metal to the coil and shorted it out so hopefully the new distributor and coil work ill post updates later and let you know what happens, thanks again you've been a really great help

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah the bearings in the first gens are bad about that. And very common. Too bad it messed the coil up. As the bearing is like 8 bucks and you can rebuild the distributor. Too late now but yes no problem keep me updated with what goes on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts