Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to change my differential fluids but the front differential drain plug will not come off. No amount of torque will get it off! I have use a rachet with an 18 in long handle and it will not budge. What should I do?

·
Brooklyn br0
3,106 Posts
I’ve trashed the plug on the rear because of trashing it off-roading on the rocks but never had trouble with the front. With the rear I make sure that I can get the ½ inch drive all the way into the plug so that there is no chance that the drive will strip the plug. A rachet is usually no good. Last time I just hammered in a ½ inch extension to square up the hole and then used a ½ inch breaker bar to get it lose. If that still is not enough you can slip a length of pipe over the breaker bar to get a bit more leverage. The important thing is to not let the drive slip out of the plug. Hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Which way do you turn it to loosen it? Does it turn the "opposite" way to loosen?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I will probably go over to my friends shop tommorow and will try to get it off. The rear plugs were pretty easy, but the fronts are a PITA. All the other plugs are lefty loosy, righty tighty, so im pretty sure this one is too.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
yeah - still righty tighty...

I used a 6 foot pipe (from a pipe clamp) over a 1/2" breaker bar. I think I had to use extensions on it as well (can't recall for sure) to get it to where we can use the pipe.. I kept it pushed in tight while my bud gave it a little turn. I think mine was the fill hole that was tight in the front. Make sure you can get that off before the drain one.

6' pipe may be overkill but all we had beyond the 15" pipe. I remember it stuck out the pass side, and there wasn't much room to turn it, but just enough to loosen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the fill plug came loose easy but the drain plug won't. I might try using a pipe today

·
Registered
556 Posts
i just heated mine up with a torch cuz i knew ill be replacing the oil anyway

came out with no extensions and just a 10 inch long ratchet... i love fire!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fire...What a good idea. Lol

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
blue tip wrenches work wonders!

I just came in here to make sure you could get the fill plugs off before you got too carried away with getting the drain plug out.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
Soak it in PB blast for a day dude. If it does not come off, just take a 1/2 inpact to it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I made sure the fill plug was loose before tooling around with the drain plug. I just took my xterra to a mechanic i know, and he use about 4 feet of pipe+ a breaker bar and got it loose for me. Charged me nothing so i was pretty happy. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
Awesome! Slip the dude $5

·
Registered
24 Posts
Torch. Its a guys best friend. Just heat it up she will come. A torch is a great multi tool, takes off any size nuts and bolts, it will fit them all!! Loosesns seized bolts, etc. Welder is another must have for any guys garage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha, james, he was our "family" mechanic so he wouldn't except any money. We bring all(7) of our cars there so he likes us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I filed mine, used big visegrips, sprayed it like 10 times with freeze off eventually it turned. Mine was like welded in there. It will come out just take your time.

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
631 Posts
I think if I were to spray mine with Kroil and wait 10 years, it might come out, too. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts