Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The heater doesn't work on my 02 Xterra 4x4. It blows air but not heat, the A/C works fine.

I was wondering what steps would I need to take to problem solve it? I kinda don't wanna rip my whole dash out unless I need to (heater core).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check, just to confirm I need to check the 2 hoses on the firewall with the car warmed up an running?

What am I looking for? Leaks? Are they the steel lines?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'll check, thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I get home an check the 2 hoses, there's nothin connected to the firewall(looks likes it broke off or something). An it looks like the 2 hoses are connected to each other instead?

Any ideas why the previous owner would do this? It's pretty weird

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
So I get home an check the 2 hoses, there's nothin connected to the firewall(looks likes it broke off or something). An it looks like the 2 hoses are connected to each other instead?

Any ideas why the previous owner would do this? It's pretty weird
Yes...the nipples that pass through the firewall to the heater core snapped, and instead of fixing it, the prior owner at the time simply connected the hoses to each other.

That means you need to either dress more warmly than you might have, or, remove enough of the dash to access and change the heater core.

>:D

Actually, its a PITA...been there and done that.

If you need any pics/pointers...just ask.

For example, you can remove most but not all the dash and access it...which saves some time, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Yes...the nipples that pass through the firewall to the heater core snapped, and instead of fixing it, the prior owner at the time simply connected the hoses to each other.

That means you need to either dress more warmly than you might have, or, remove enough of the dash to access and change the heater core.

Actually, its a PITA...been there and done that.

If you need any pics/pointers...just ask.

For example, you can remove most but not all the dash and access it...which saves some time, etc.
TJ
Do you still have that foto of your dash !!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you u guys for the info, I go snowboarding a lot so I'm gonna need that heater working.

I'll add this to my list of projects for my good old Xterra. She's got 140,000 but I still love u

Timing belt
Power steering hose
Heater hose

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
TJ
Do you still have that foto of your dash !!!

As you can see, it can take over 2 HOURS to take it apart and put it all back together again.

I took longer, as I did some stuff "while I was at it"...like always. (IE: If planning on running lights or other stuff through the firewall, instruments, CB, etc...its a good time.)

:D

The part labeled "tubes" (red arrows) is what tends to get snapped, but typically, on the side of the engine bay side of the firewall, where they stick through those two holes (Holes are circled in blue).

I call the ends of those tubes "the nipples" that the engine's heater hoses connect on to.

People forget that heater hoses oxidize and harden onto the nipples, and try to twist them off after removing the clamps...cracking the plastic nips.

You have to slice the hoses, and remove them GENTLY from the nips to avoid snapping/cracking things that lead to gutting the dash, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts

As you can see, it can take over 2 HOURS to take it apart and put it all back together again.

I took longer, as I did some stuff "while I was at it"...like always.

:D
Ha Ha I love that foto every time i see it.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts