Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its pretty cold out here in Ohio now,So I been using my remote starter to warm it up so I wont have to get into a cold car. So when im done driving it,I leave my dials set to defrost and put it on full power,so when I start it up it will warm up,melt ice etc..

But I noticed when I do this,its only blowing out cold air. I thought well maybe I didnt run it long enough and it was really cold,so the next time I remote started it,and let it run for 30 mins only to go out there and feel the cold air :(

So I look at my temp gauge and its reading fine "slightly below center" So I drive it and maybe 30 seconds if that,the warm air comes out. Zero problems when driving,stopping,idle etc. I still get hot heat. I just seem to have the problem on start.

Would this be a thermostat? Usually it will overheat if its a stat,right? Let me know what you think,,, Thanks! This is a 2008

·
Registered
73 Posts
I noticed last night (my passenger did and wasn't thrilled) that while the heat was blowing out of the dash, a huge gust of cold air was coming out into the passenger floorboard. It's velocity was related to the speed of the fan. Related?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldnt the radiator bleed its self while driving? If not how would I do this try to squeeze the bottom hose to try to purge some air out with radiator cap open,or just idle it wit cap open?
I only checked the level of coolant in my reserve tank when it was cold and it seem to be where it should be,but I did notice when I opened the cap a little burst of air came out,so maybe there is air in there.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
The bled screw is top of the intake by the letter N open with engine idle ling till air stops and only coolant comes out .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I couldnt find the bleed screw,but I checked the radiator level and didnt see any when I Opened the cap,so I poured some in and it took over a quarter gallon.
So just let it run with the cap off a min to get some bubbles out,closed it up and so far so good. I get warm air in a few minutes of a cold start and everything seems to be running normal.

I was wondering where the fluid went,But then again I only owned this car for about 2yrs,so it could have always been low. But I dont see any leaks or have I ever seen a coolant leak. I even check my tranny and there was no signs of coolant in there,just filled to the level with tranny fluid. So I guess that was my problem.

When it gets warmer I think im going to drain whats in there and put new coolant in and start fresh.

But does coolant just evaporate or burn off after some time?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well I couldnt find the bleed screw,but I checked the radiator level and didnt see any when I Opened the cap,so I poured some in and it took over a quarter gallon.
So just let it run with the cap off a min to get some bubbles out,closed it up and so far so good. I get warm air in a few minutes of a cold start and everything seems to be running normal.

I was wondering where the fluid went,But then again I only owned this car for about 2yrs,so it could have always been low. But I dont see any leaks or have I ever seen a coolant leak. I even check my tranny and there was no signs of coolant in there,just filled to the level with tranny fluid. So I guess that was my problem.

When it gets warmer I think im going to drain whats in there and put new coolant in and start fresh.

But does coolant just evaporate or burn off after some time?

Its a closed system so you shouldn't really ever lose any unless you have a leak.

You might want to replace the cap though. When the coolant expands it goes into the overflow tank. As it cools off when the car is off it pulls that extra coolant back in via vacuum. If your cap is bad it won't pull the coolant back into the radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts