Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it's byproduct of the BL or just plain coincidence that a couple days later (while putting in my boat no less) that the connection to the heat exchanger / feed pump (not sure which is the correct name) broke off and coolant started spraying everywhere.

Here's a pic of the broken connection:

This is a zoomed out view so you can get a frame of reference:

It appears that the plastic nipple that sticks out from the firewall fatigued (?) and broke off. When I went to the auto store I was told I had to replace the ENTIRE exchanger and that just a replacement fitting didn't exist. To bide my time until winter and to give me time to post it up to clubxterra to have a say; I ended up buying a connector at an auto store and just looping it back on itself, effectively bypassing the exchanger which provides heat for the cabin. Then I capped the unused connections using electrical tape and zip ties.

So, thoughts? Do I really have to replace the entire thing (~$170 and involves taking out the ENTIRE dash)? Is there a different type of fix? Should I look around at scrap yards? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
i think you should buy a new one any thing from junk yard is going to have the same problem with the plastic and you only want to to take the dash apart once.its really not that hard 2 hours is all it should take.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you make a good point, but I was more frustrated with the cost, not the labor.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dejablue, what place would that be?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Ow

Yeah, the entire dash comes out, as the dash piece on the '01 goes all the way from d-side to p-side.

There's a lot of wires/connections for the various gauges, lights, airbags, etc...

It took me quite a few hours to get at mine...the Bass Turd is hidden against the firewall, BEHIND the AC, etc.

:D

Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
supposedly you can trim some of the plastic behind the glove box and make a hole for the heater core to come out through, rather than pulling the whole dash out....either way, i've been hearing more and more reports of heater cores breaking at the firewall fitting, so i'll be keeping an eye on mine

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It still doesn't make sense to me that the entire heater core needs to be replaced. Wouldn't there just be some attachable/detachable fitting that needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
that would be too logical...

i broke a heater core on my old car (dodge stealth)...it was the same case, the whole thing had to be replaced...i said screw it and just clamped the hose to what was left of the fitting, and it held

·
Registered
576 Posts

i broke a heater core on my old car (dodge stealth)...it was the same case, the whole thing had to be replaced...i said screw it and just clamped the hose to what was left of the fitting, and it held
After I had to have a heater replaced years ago I always wondered why they don't make it so you pull the heater core out through the firewall! Two hose clamps, 4-6 screws from a cover and then just pull that sucker right out!

·
Registered
174 Posts
After I had to have a heater replaced years ago I always wondered why they don't make it so you pull the heater core out through the firewall! Two hose clamps, 4-6 screws from a cover and then just pull that sucker right out!
My '78 Lincoln Mark V was like that.

Replacing a heater core in an X is a crappy job. That is all.

·
Silver Submarine
10,979 Posts

I did the same thing on my X. its been fine so far. The Antifreeze was hot.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
You can't pull it out through the glove box, trust me...its BEHIND THE AC....so the AC has to come out first, THEN the core.

You CAN try to plumb in a new nipple at the engine side of the firewall, and if it holds, DO THAT.

If it doesn't...well, you're screwed and glued.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Shit. Got home tonight and found that my fitting looked exactly like munkman's.. the pieces of the fitting that broke off fell down the tube so im gonna see if i can get it off and clean out the pieces. My dad thinks we can get a fitting inside the piece that broke off and hose clamp the tube to it..

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Did you unclip the heater core so its not connected to the engine??

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Yea Im sure we did that when my buddy and I did the BL back in june
Did you remove the clip entirely? I removed mine because it kept getting stuck on stuff.

I hope this doesnt happen to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts