Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2004 X and we live in "the country" in Costa Rica, which means that we have very few street lights, lots of country roads, the potential for lots of large animals to be on the road, and there are for sure lots of locals who ride bikes without reflectors, and walk, on the country roads at night. The standard headlights that came with the car (we bought it used 2 years ago) just don't have the power, focus, whatever, to light up the road out to a comfortable distance.
Can anyone suggest a "plug-and-play" sort of alternative for the lights we have? I know about L.E.D. 'Baja-1000' type light bars etc. (And I do plan to add something along those lines when I can find what I want and afford it), but for now if there is something faster / cheaper I'd like to hear about it.

Another pain the butt with our Xterra is that the interior instrument lights suck. Is this a general problem or do we have a specific issue with our car? It would be nice to be able to read the idiot gauges, at least, without pulling out my red-lensed flashlight to do so while driving.

Thank you in advance to anyone who helps here. I read this site a fair amount for the general fund of information and as a source for mental health on my X-issues. :nerd:

·
Registered
787 Posts
I believe your quickest "plug n' play" option would be LED pods or a bar. There's HID projectors (which are very nice) but they're more expensive than LED pods and even some LED bars.

Here's some cheaper LED websites, not sure about shipping to Costa Rica though...
http://www.ohvlights.com
http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.com/Zeus-Off-Road-Lighting_c_12.html

As for the dash being so dim its barely visible...I've never heard of this issue. There should be a brightness adjuster either on the left of right side of the steering wheel (I forget which), make sure that is turned all the way up.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My instrument cluster is really really dim as well. I can adjust the brightness with the dimmer but even when it's all the way up, it's difficult to read at dusk. Some have upgraded to LEDs in the instrument and gauge clusters and have had good results. I tried one but had the wrong lights so it doesn't work. I think the thread has been upgraded with the item numbers or bulb sizes so you might search around for it on here

·
Registered
248 Posts
Second on the cluster being dim, mine is cranked right up to the max and it is also pretty sad. I did see an LED cluster DYI on here that looks pretty straight forward that makes it look amazing. The only issue I saw was making sure you get the right led replacement bulbs and source them for me, I am in Mexico.

I hear you on the headlights issue as well, the stock lights are pretty subpar. I am also looking around for options and think that I will do it right the first time and do a projector beam upgrade. Also, sourcing here in Mexico may be a bit of an issue.

Best of luck and share what you come up with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know it is not good to run HID's without the projectors but DDM Tuning makes some nice HID kits that you can plug and play with your current setup. I used the 55watt lights for a while in my old 98 Frontier and the lighting was awesome. Be aware if you go this route you will be blinding other drivers but the light output is great from stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts