Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Turtle Wax Headlight Restoration at Wal-Mart for less than $10.
These are my results, not to bad.

This is the kit...

This is before...

This is after...

I first wanted to post pics of the entire process but thought it would be pointless. I just followed the instructions on the box. At first I thought it was not going to well. I even did the entire process twice before I apllied the sealer. Once the sealer was applied lenses looked new. I honestly was quite impressed. You need nothing, everything is included in the kid. I do recomened using the supplied golve for the sealer. It is sort of like nail polish. Don't do it if you are planning on wheeling it take 24 hours for sealer to dry and cure. It has been 4 hours and it is still very wet to touch. I imagine dirt after this point would be bad so let it cure!! Oh yeah, Id did do both lights just didn't want to overrun thread with pictures. Results are the same for both sides.
Good Luck, I would give it a try.:wink-big:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
glad it worked out for you, i got the rainx one with less then stellar results on my first gen. But the kit looks essentially the same. I have the 3m one that you use with a drill, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 3m got some good reviews. worth a try before dumping money on new ones. I just took it out on the road. What an improvement. I have High Beams again. Now I get the light flicker again from on coming traffic. They do it even with the low beams on. :)

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I'm assuming you didn't know toothpaste works too?

:D

·
Registered
649 Posts
basically the same way you brush your teeth. the toothpaste is naturally abrasive and removes all the caked on dirt and other particles. If understood what a engineer buddy of mine was trying to explain correctly the smallest parts of the toothpaste also fill all the tiny scratches in the plastic. These parts reflect light the same way the plastic does and thus "more or less" leaves the headlight looking new...ish.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
For plastic windows on convertibles, etc...same deal, you just gently polish the plastic with a soft cloth and wet toothpaste, and it gives a mirror finish.

(And fresh minty breath....)

:wink-big:

·
Registered
622 Posts
the nice thing about the any one of those kits are the fact that they have 3+different grits of sandpaper. those grits(1000, 1500, 2000, 2500) are typically not available at any home depot-like store. at least in my experience. if you do find those rare grits, you have to buy an entire sheet or combo pack of grits which will easily get you to about the same price, if not more. most of you will also have to buy toothpaste as well because.......:) (see following smile):lutscher-big:

·
Registered
167 Posts
before and after toothpaste

first pic is before.....i know it didnt have much haze but it bothers me lol...
second is after toothpaste....i am going to get some kind of wax or compound to make it look better

but for a little bit of toothpaste looks pretty good

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
toothpaste works on CD's, too I tried a couple of other lens compounds, mothers and macguier's. They both kind of helped but not worth the money. Seems to me that they just helped bake the lens even more and only lasted about a month. I think the key is the sealer. that is what made the biggest differance. I have seen toothpaste done on Trucks.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
glad it worked out for you, i got the rainx one with less then stellar results on my first gen. But the kit looks essentially the same. I have the 3m one that you use with a drill, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I used the 3M set-up on my wife's car and it worked great! It took a long time, but her's were pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
That's because most toothpaste (if not all) has Polyethylene in it.. as in the same plastic my canoe and kayak are made out of, and most milk jugs etc. No clue on what specific type of PE (LD, HD, PEX, etc), but between the wetness of the paste, and the abrasiveness of the PE "chips" or whatever you want to call them, it's like you're wet sanding or using a chrome polish. Just thought I'd throw that out there, and NO I'm not recommending you clean you teeth with Mag or Chrome polish (unless you have a grill in there)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts