Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not double-posting on this - I've looked through the site but couldn't find anything relating to my dilemma.

Just purchased a 2001 Xterra SE - here's one of it's problems:

When I turn my headlights on in the normal position the hi-beams are on, with the blue hi-beam light lit up in the dash.

When I pull the lever toward me the hi-beams stay on, also with the blue hi-beam light li up in the dash.

When I push the lever forward (to keep the hi-beams on), the LOW beams are now on, but the blue hi-beam light in the dash stays on.

I was thinking it may be a bad switch? Didn't think an incorrect bulb would be the culprit....

Any ideas on this are much appreciated! Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Its the bulb they changed the bulb and the wiring in 2002 and i think you have the wrong one.The 2000 and 2001 take a different bulb.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Do you know how to use a multimeter? If so i would start at the bulb connection and see. Its almost like someone swapped the leads but that would be a REALLY weird thing to do. Looking as the fsm it says low beam on the left should be red, high beam should be red/green. On the right low should be red/blue and high should be red/white. Does this match yours?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its the bulb they changed the bulb and the wiring in 2002 and i think you have the wrong one.The 2000 and 2001 take a different bulb.
I'll check it tonight to see if it's the correct bulb. Looking online it should be a 9004 Hi/Low beam. Thank you!! :)

Do you know how to use a multimeter? If so i would start at the bulb connection and see. Its almost like someone swapped the leads but that would be a REALLY weird thing to do. Looking as the fsm it says low beam on the left should be red, high beam should be red/green. On the right low should be red/blue and high should be red/white. Does this match yours?
Interesting. This doesn't sound so far fetched as there were other weird things that were previously 'fixed' ;) LOL! Thank you for this - i'll check it out tonight! :)

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
What happen is someone rewire for upgrade bulb ,sold the truck pull the upgrade bulbs out put stock back in never changed the wiring.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
You can use that bulb if you want just need to change the wires on socket ( i don't understand why Nissan changed that.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts